What are your thoughts on the Microsoft surface laptop studio 2 and using it for blender?

So i have been looking into a portable device to use blender along with other softwares. But im not sure if the top specs of the MSSL2 would be good for doing modeling/sculpting and rendering.

So the top specs are.

64gb

13th gen i7

4060 RTX

Im not too tech savvy in terms of computers but looking into the 2 in 1 space it seems pretty powerful for what it is.

So im hoping i could get alot of power out of it to get higher polys like 30mil possibly higher with little to no performance issue’s perhaps?

It seems cool, I bet Blender would run great on it, given those specs and having a touch screen for sculpting or using the grease pencil looks useful. I’d also check out Asus’ offerings. For example, you might get much better hardware for less money with something like the Rog Flow X16. In general, Microsoft Surface products are a bit expensive compared to other manufacturers!

You need to check the cooling system and Blender benchmarks for that precise system. Can it maintain the 4060 firing in all cylinder or it is a weak 4060?

24 sec Classroom is weak for the 4060.

Ive had a look at the asus flow 16 and it is powerful it’s currently unavailable from the asus online stores and cant seem to purchase it anywhere else.

Just judging by what i could see it does seem abit difficult to tell on the capabilities of blender and the hardware.

It will be okay, but for the price you can get better.

3 Likes

The tricky thing about laptops is that you pay about a 30% markup per part compared to a desktop. If you have to have something portable, you’re going to end up paying more.

One option if you already have a strong desktop is getting a cheap laptop and remote desktopping into it with a laptop; that’s what I do when I need something portable. This isn’t cheaper overall, unless you already have a desktop of course

2 Likes

At a previous job, I was cursed :slight_smile: with “having to use a Surface.” Even though what I was doing was not “computer graphics.” Even though it has a “sleek and sexy profile,” you really can’t do anything much with it without attaching a bunch of “external” (sic …) hardware to it. All of which would be “built in” to any decent laptop.

In the context of CG work such as Blender, which is naturally “CPU intensive” and therefore “temperature producing,” I would definitely also be concerned with the issue of heat. As in, “does the hardware design actually expect to encounter any, and if so can it get rid of it?” For example, the “Mac Mini” system probably left the [Apple …] market for good because of “heat problems.” A brief third-market appeared for various fan systems that you could put under your “Mini” to keep it cool. But it was never satisfactory.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips, im actually looking at other devices that would get the desired results.