What direction do I recalculate roll in?

I just have a quick question, what direction do I recalculate roll in, and how do I find out next time the correct direction? I am trying to recalculate roll so I can mirror the armature onto the left side.

Recalculate roll aims your bone’s +Z axis at the chosen thing. There’s no right or wrong answer, there’s just what you want. What you want will usually depend on what kind of constraints you have, or what kind of armature you’re trying to copy animation from, or, barring those two, what your animators are most comfortable with. Odds are strong that you are your animator, so it’s whatever you’re comfortable with.

When I’m orienting bones without constraints, I will typically go to a front view (numpad 1) and recalculate roll from view axis, if those bones are not predominantly oriented in world ±Y; if they are predominantly oriented in world ±Y, I will do it from a top view (numpad 7) instead.

I suppose that when I’m making fingers, if those fingers are not aligned with view axes (they usually are not, not completely), then I will snap cursor to mean of head of parent, tail of child, then recalculate to cursor, in order to keep their single-axis rotation to their X axes.

1 Like