What does mentalRay/others have that Yafray doesn't?

I agree with Alavaro, on his thoughts …
but yafray needs better shaders, that is an essential thing for any renderer

i see the problem as well but the same is also true for commercial software.
to make switch is not that hard. when you work with maya well you olso would have the contracts to fund software like that.

i would not be to worried. blender has no competition. render engines well something different.

Yaf(a)ray, a recoding of the yafray core, has better shaders.

http://wiki.yafray.org/bin/view.pl/UserDoc/YafaRay

P.S. What’s happenin’ with Yaf(a)ray? Anyone know?

Wow, ease it down guys! If one were not to say what something can do, how will we progress? Yafray is old, and even with the latest update, is not as good as most renderers on the market. Yes, Yafray is free, but so is Toxic and Kerkeythea. I have first hand experience with MR and let me tell you, it rivals only with Renderman for a reason: Its that good.

Yafray doesn’t have a built in skin shader, nor does it have physically accurate SSS. It can’t do Lightmaps, which makes SSS or Caustics dreadfully slow. Yafaray, the new one they are making, hopefully will address these issues. If not an internal REYES renderer will be helpfull, if not better than MR intergration.

Yafray is old, and even with the latest update, is not as good as most renderers on the market

…we didn’t expect that boom. Neither Alfredo nor me. Of course it was the cool export script what was catching people, exporting easily from blender to a raytracer. We got very excited with all that support from the community. I still get impressed by what people can do with a simple tool like this…

… YafRay started as an experiment and still is. It’s not finished and lacks a lot of features if you compare it with other render engines. I always think is not good enough and that it is hard to imagine what do people see in it. Since people like it for some reason, we now want to really convert it into a full rendering engine that deserves to be called “renderer”. This will take some time to have fun coding. We want to add what YafRay lacks (particles, effects, etc…) and to improve global illumination. But only Alfredo De Greef and me are coding YafRay right now, so in order to keep the development up to an acceptable rate, we should get more people to code, more developers. I hope this happens sooner or later.

Finally, I want to thank all the blender community that supported this project. All those beautiful pictures are what really bring people to YafRay…

by Alejandro Conty Estevez

Any developers with some spare time on your hands not messing with blender, I hear an opportunity for anyone with the qualifications to help.
Alejandro Conty Estevez Good luck. I’ll try and spread the word around that you guys are looking for some help.

And Alejandro, I have to say a personal thank you for the hard work you guys have put in to help the community put out such nice work. Keep up the good work!

Hey… Blender and Yafray are both Free and they both do a pretty darn good job! You have my many thanks as well.

Here´s the link for Blendal Studio, the modified Blender that renders directly to MR stand alone