What fbx-export options do you use frequently?

Greetings community! I am coding an add-on for Blender to accelerate the export-import pipeline from Blender to game engines. It became repetitive for me to click through the export dialog everytime, so I made a batch exporter that batch exports using predefined options. It’s working fine for my own workflow, but to make the add-on more useful for other gamedevs too I would like to know which common fbx export options you often use.

I will bring your preferred options into the add-on and will upload on github soon. It’s really nothing special, just a little timesaver.

Thanks for the input!

1 Like

The addon is now available on github: https://github.com/Messerblatt/BatchExporter/

Eager to bring in more Features. It’s quite basic ATM but a timesaver already.

I (and many other gamedevs) don’t use the FBX exporter directly, I use https://gitlab.com/AquaticNightmare/bundle_exporter for easy one-click exports. This way, the settings are also stored per file, per collection, so I can go into a colleague’s file and know it’s set up correctly and will export to the right location, with the right settings. There are also modifiers that are indispensable for my workflow, like renaming, setting export pivot to a specific mesh, not exporting hidden meshes…
They’re very open to contributions, so consider adding your ideas to that one instead?

1 Like

Thank you! The bundle_exporter written by Aquatic Nightmare is a great add-on.

Out there in the wild there exist many add-ons for batch exporting. It became some sort of a sport for blenderers to write BatchExporters in order to dive into the scripting areas of Blender. Most of these projects are finished, with last commits ~3 years ago. I don’t think that my contributions are relevant here, as the tools have already been created (and finished).

For my part, I will add glTF and multi-directory support to my tool and then will declare it as finished as well.

What would be interesting to know about the export formats: How many 3D people out there are boycotting FBX in protest against Autodesk? Ton Roosendaal had already pointed out (and not only him) that FBX is a problematic file format, due to it’s proprietary nature. Is the community aware of the problems with FBX?

1 Like