What goes wrong in my blend file?

Hello,
I made a little blend file to learn node geomtry. This is a cylinder and two vertex groups. But when I change the position of one vertex group, nothing happens and I don’t understand what I miss.

If someone could have a look to help me. Thank you.

Geometrie001.blend (895.7 KB)

Your vertex groups are empty!
You have to assign some vertexes to them. :grinning:

Thaaaaank you !

When I selected the points and created the vertex group, I believed it was automatic.

1 Like

By the way, how can I rotate the vertex group with the same method ?

I tried using “transform” node but I don’t see how to get the attribute into this. Do you know the logic in this case ?

You could do this;

The center of rotation (0,0,0) is the origin of the object.

Great, thank you again.

In fact I tried “vector rotate” but without “Position” node and I believed it was not the right way. I feel it’s not so intuitive to understand when we have to add a “position” node like here. Or another node somtimes…

I’m going to find (alone) how to scale the vertex group now. I’ll tell you soon if I succeed or not.

Yes, for me, it would make sense to have a selection input in the transform geometry node but for some reason there is none. So setting the position is the only way I know of rotating a group of verts.

Well in fact its rather simple. In principle a node ALWAYS needs the fitting input. And if you use a set position node then a new position is needed. So what you will feed into it is a position node itself or a modified position, like in this case one, that got rotated.

There are a few cases when blender has a default that is assumed when nothing is connected, like for some index sockets, but thats just in some specific cases and you still could connect a index node in this example aswell.

Well, I try to use “scale element” node to scale my “top” vertex group but I still miss something… I can scale all the mesh but not only the vertex group…

Is there a new subtility ?

Edit:
I think I’ve found a way using “multiplicate” node. This is the right way ?

Scale element does not work because the vertex group is not a “face” or “edge”, it is a list of vertexes. (even though in this case it defines one that is not always true depending on the vertex group)
So back to set position!

Here I only scale x and y because z would scale it towards the object origin (pull the face down or up if you scale up).

Ps There is no need for the capture attribute node as it is already a named vertex group attribute.

PPS
I just noticed that your file turns my geometry inputs/outputs into French ones!
:thinking:
I do not think it should do that!

EDIT …Again sorry.
Looking at another thread you can define the face with a greater than node, so you can do this with the scale elements node (and it scales from the center of the vertex group);

That looks fine, you can get rid of the capture attribute node and plug the attribute straight into the set position node.