What is a high poly model

Hi there all, im very new to the blender scene, i mean i just signed up here about 10 min ago lol.

So i was doing a search on different chariter softwear and the one guy was asking about Make human and if its cheating, and one guy said that to become good its best to know how to model chariters from scratch, know the basiccs and things.
Link : http://www.gamedev.net/topic/654919-using-makehumanis-it-cheating/

So i did some searching and alot of people are talking about low and high poly model.
Now my question is, what is that, because i am doing this one tutorial where you create a plane and what we did was create a very simple outer model and then added the Sub surface modifier, is that now making the object a high poly ? or is that still a low polly model because i can select my original vertices only.
Link : http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/how-to-make-an-airplane-part-12/

High polygon model is a model with medium/small size forms described with actual polygons, which may be used as is or used for transferring some of that detail as a texture on a lower polygon version.

Subdivision surface is a popular modeling technique for high polygon models because it allows to control high polygon counts with less vertices, and it’s adjustable.

So Thats a highly acceptable method of molding ? because i watched this guy create a character, (3 hour tutorial by the way :eek:) and he created a highly detailed structure, probably a medium model i think, if youd like the like i can provide it.

Thats what has been confusing me is that i watched half of his tutorial (3 hour one) and then saw another one about a week later and what the guy dose is create a very love poly base and then work on each section to increase details like the head, arms, hands and so on. is this a better method or should i create from the start detailed ?

p.s im using character reference because its a very hard thing to model, In my opinion.

Models aren’t equal. There are requirements depending on how it’s used and from the steps before that (materials/texturing, rigging, animation). The workflow might also change based on what the starting point is.

Having to control a lot of actual geometry on a character usually means it is very complex and for that sculpt -> retopology -> detail sculpt -> bake workflow is popular because it breaks down the complexity into manageable pieces. First overall proportions, main forms, design and looks, then optimized structure, and then high frequency detail. Creature models are often made that way.

High Poly, low poly is a distinction formed from the collision of modeling software with game engines. To enjoy a game, the animation should be smooth and continuous. But game engines and the hardware they run on have limitations, so when a game scene has too many polygons to calculate with the scenery, props, characters and so on, game designers start asking their character, prop and background modelers for “low poly” models, or they blame the engine slow down on “high poly” models.

That’s why the definition is so fuzzy: it’s highly dependent on particular cases.

In response to game developer demands for lower poly assets, modeling software developers came up with many techniques to get models that look highly detailed, can be animated, and yet can be handled by game engines at an acceptable speed. So models using those techniques are generally thought of as ‘low poly’ models, and those that don’t use those techniques, or use fewer of them than they could, are the ‘high poly’ models.

It’s another case of developers being sloppy communicators. They talk of ‘high’ and ‘low’ poly as if there is some bright numerical dividing line between them, when in fact they mean ‘higher’ or ‘lower’ poly models, making clear that it is a comparison, not some fixed number. But what are you going to do? If they knew how to communicate, they’d be writing novels instead of software.

Good for you. Start with good habits, they will serve you well. Always use references, and the more the better. You’ll be surprised that even things you think might be simple to model have details and peculiarities that you can discover by studying reference photographs.

Welcome to BlenderArtists :smiley:

Thank man, Its like a hole new World :yes:

The only thing that im now worried about is the animation, Because iv read that once you start to rig and animate, things can start to deform so thats why i though low polly was bad, but i now know, you always start with low poly, (to get your basic form) then you start to add more details.

I dont want to get an issue with this thread so im not asking for advice with the animation, when i get there ill open a new thread :smiley:

Also here is SA, i see this mag thats called 3D Artists, its on all topiccs from blender, to zbrush, and all the inbetween bits, but its R 200, which i think is $20, Is that any good ? Do you guys get that where you are ?

Reference Image :

I just added the dots as the entire answer you provided is just what i was looking for, thanks man, Now i fully understandd, it is game based, so if i was just creating a scene to run in blender or render, I’d just use high poly correct ? and like you said if the games engine cannot handle the hight poly character with all the textures and and props etc. then you use a lower poly option, :slight_smile: thanks alot, man, really helped me understand the difference

Thanks for that JA12, i will definantly Do this, and as i read through it, i still said to my self, “Why didnt i think of that” :frowning: but thanks man, i understand now :slight_smile: and also thanks for the link.

ps. Thats quite a structure that was built, very well done to @Mikel007