What is 'on topic'? This is ridiculous

I am pretty sure I am doing nothing wrong, I strive to stay within the terms of service like everyone else, but I am now having to consider it a good day when I visit the site and notice I do not have any posts that have been flagged.

It is clear that our definitions of ‘on topic’ and ‘off topic’ do not line up here, and it is actually creating a negative impact on my ability to function as a person. Not once in my 20-year history on this site have I been driven to tears on a regular basis from moderator activity, and just today I almost had to cut going to work because of it.

I thought the purpose of Discourse was to facilitate discussion, but instead we have a slow stream of members who have been or are in the process of packing up and leaving. There is nothing wrong with semi-organic discussion, and to block that I believe only hurts the ability to see BA as a community.

Is it possible we can dial back the extremely narrow definition of ‘topic’ here without turning the thread titles into nothing but a suggestion?

I’m not a mod, and haven’t flagged any of your posts. So, read with that in mind.

I am now having to consider it a good day when I visit the site and notice I do not have any posts that have been flagged.

On any website, if one’s comments are continually flagged, then one should do some self-analysis on what they’re saying on a such a regular basis that others find to be problematic.

Not once in my 20-year history on this site have I been driven to tears on a regular basis from moderator activity, and just today I almost had to cut going to work because of it.

If emotional health is negatively effected by participating anywhere on the internet, then clearly the issue of mental health should be the priority. Personally, I stopped logging into Facebook years ago; the only reason I still have a Facebook account is due to employment requirements.

Twitter - I cancelled my account, at least 2-3 years before Elon Musk was even part of the equation.

Both of these websites did little more than anger me several times a day; the "positive’ posts that I saw, weren’t worth seeing the rest. So, I removed them from my online life.

we have a slow stream of members who have been or are in the process of packing up and leaving.

I’ve not been here long enough to notice, but haven’t personally seen any names that I recognize drop off the grid here.

Is it possible we can dial back the extremely narrow definition of ‘topic’ here without turning the thread titles into nothing but a suggestion?

I’ve had posts of my own flagged.

I’ve made posts that were quickly targeted as “this is not on topic”. And more than once, I knew it was in a grey area when I typed it.

I’ve made a couple of posts, recently, that were split from a discussion into a completely new thread.

None of the above was an emotional problem for me. It’s merely an attempt by the mods to keep this website in a state of flow that doesn’t descend into pure chaos.

As an aside, there are certainly words, phrases, etc that are universally guaranteed to put a post on someone’s Flag Radar:

1. Any mention of religion, positive or not.
  2. Any mention of politics
  3. Discussion on race, sex, ideology, social policy
  4. Opinions on different countries’ internal laws and policies
  5. Discussions on wealth
  6. Discussions on capitalism vs … anything that isn’t
  7. Opinions on the ethics and morality of other people, other organizations, or companies

If one is able to avoid all of these things when responding on this website, the chances of avoiding a Flag increase exponentially.

1 Like

Moderators don’t flag things as off-topic, community members do. If you have posts being flagged, it’s because the people reading those threads think your contributions are off-topic. Take it up with them, or better yet, just… be on-topic? The only way to prevent people from flagging you is to turn off flagging altogether, which isn’t going to happen.

Also, I looked through your posts and I assume you’re talking about your off-topic reply on the New Technologies thread? It’s been clearly established that that thread is for announcements only and not discussions. You don’t follow that, and it leads to community members flagging you. So, there again, you have an easy solution

Also… you’ve had 3 total replies be flagged (by community members) as off-topic in the last 12 months.

This is a lie. You have had 8 total flags in the past 12 months. That’s 8/365 “bad days” by your metric, or 97% good days

So why are there many other posts just above mine which are more commentary than announcements, including one of your own? Unless the thread gets a thorough cleaning then it can be argued the rule is either being enforced inconsistently or selectively (because even a one-liner will run afoul of it).

The thread is cleaned frequently:

It’s incredibly time-consuming cleaning up after people not following the guidelines like this, so if you’re not happy with the state of that cleaning, how about you just follow the guidelines and less cleaning has to happen? Everyone wins :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m out. Your flags are from the community, so feel free to continue your grievances with them

If the discussion is about right or wrong… then we are lost here and this might continue to the end of time… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:thinking:

What else could one say about this than: get a live… (?) …or:

…and on the other hand… looking at your activities… most of the time you are “discussing / debating”… and not about some technical or artistical aspects about blender or 3D workflows to use… (at least AFAIK :wink: ) …so the posibility that one (or two) of the 109k users gets “upset”… is more than zero… ( maybe now even you about what i just wrote about your activities ??)

Discourse is only the software Blenderartists is using… and the purpose of a comunity dedicated to one specific area (and tool) is to talk about possible problems (or better solutions), tricks and sharing experience about this… (and maybe other tools)… …because if someone wants to have some political discusion or about the “future of mankind”…( or the end is near…) then this might be the wrong place…

(and yes the flagging feature is driven by users… also happened to me… and it was… just silly… :roll_eyes: … three people in one room do have at least four opinions…)