What is real difference use Blender UDIM texture or just manually set UDIM UV?

So I have used UDIM tile or non UDIM tile as I need, then I know blender already offer way to UDIM support . (after set UDIM UV, then set new texture as UDIM, and swap textures when it need with same name…)

But Is there any clear difference, if you manually locate UV as UDIM (but no tile number), then just set each material texture node, with “Repeat” and “single Image?”

Though when load multi textures at same time, Blender UDIM texture set is useful, but it need to generate all texture set first… then need to use same names for each map, I suppose…

So is there any demerit, if I Just separate UV tile as UDIM way, (yes we did manually so, until blender support multi UV tile I remember,) and separate as material , then use single texrure with Repeat for image texture node of each materials (name it as 1001, 1002 etc) :no_mouth:

Of course to load each UDIM number image, it may need to set one by one though…

I often feel, if I really need to set UDIM textures for multi material = separate as each UV tile… .

Well for me (linux, blender3.2.1) adding a texture node and loading one image (usually image.1001...) adds the different udims… (image.1001, image1002, image.1010..... or whatever; doesn’t have to be directly connected) to the UV editor and i don’t have to setup anything else…

Therw is a UDIM detectiong on the Blender File View/load window on the right (the cogwheel icon)…

1 Like

I see, so you means we do not nee to set-up UDIM textures (with UV editor, and generate textures first) for recent versions?

Today I happend to read manual about UDIM again, then supposed I still need to generate UDIM texture first… and exchange them with our generate textures… (or overwrite by other aprication…)
but not test enough…

I still not confirm it though, I notice, yes we have setting when load image (usually it is closed ^^;) then if I hope to load texture as single, I must need to check Off , if I need to load as UDIM I need to check ON…

OK now I confirm, I simply make UV as 2 tiles. (just transform 1 unit U direction, for some faces) , and set 1 materials…principled bsdf.
and connect Image texture node…

Then load red.1001 and blue.1002 image with set UDIM option.it can auto apply texture along with my tile . Thanks okidoki :grinning:

On the other hand, if I drug and drop from blender file browser editor, even though I set it as UDIM in texture node, it miss assgin
and can not set UDIM correctly… ^^; I do not remember it had been reported or not…