What is the best approach to grouping objects

Sorry but this is newbie question but I’ll having problems in the basic approach.

I have a car chassis with 4 wheels - I want to be able to group the car so that if I move the car chassis, the wheels also stay in relation to the car body. But I also want to animated the wheels as a sub-object. This hierarchical structure is the basis of all animation.

My experiments to date have met with failure - parts of the car/character being left behind because I have grouped them wrong etc.

What is the best way of making sure arms and legs stay with the body, wheels don’t fall off vehicles (unless we want 'em to).

TIA.

A perplexed Pringle.

Pringle,

As for the car, I would parent the wheels to the chassis. Once parented, they will move, scale et with the chassis. Select all 4 wheels, then select the chassis (order of selection is important. Then press Ctrl p and select “Make Parent”.

In my experience, it is always best to Ctrl a (Apply scale and rotation) to each of the objects before parenting.

Best of Luck!

Many thanks for this - its the weekend tomorrrow and now I know what I am doing :slight_smile:

It has been frustrating in the past when I thought I had grouped everything only to discover a random pair of eyes still looking at camera after its owner had walked out of shot - funny bit frustrating.

Blender seems to be this make big progress, then hit brick wall, make big progress, hit brick wall.

I showed my new boss (at a graphics company) Blender last week - first time he had seen it: I cannot repeat his actual words but Babel translated it as “Have sex with me - this is sexing free - SEX!. For the sake of sex, how can they do that - sex is amazing! Give me the sex install file”.

Babel need to improve its sexing grammar.

One happy Pringle with his problem fixed.

Thanls

Also available is the FREE on-line user manual. Not very sexy, but it does have pictures.