What is the most bat-guano-insane thing in Blender that you can't believe they haven't fixed yet?

Case in point, posting a job opening notice for a Cycles render engineer rather than fill that need with Campbell, Jaques, or Sybren. There’s a pervasive misconception that software organizations can just move people from one area to another, making them learn the code if needed, without much difficulty. Based on how the human brain works, people who train themselves to perform certain tasks and who thoroughly research certain subjects will do their best if they are kept on those tasks.

Unfortunately, this is even spilling into real world economics. There are actual governments in some nations that think people can be moved out of jobs they were trained their whole life to do and placed into more “societally appropriate” industries (and do their new jobs well) without much trouble. Most people just don’t work like that, so for the BF to do that will cost a lot of time and money and reduce the rate of development.

I say most, because your IQ score can help indicate how well you can be moved from one task to another one (that is completely outside your skill set). Not everyone can do it though without losing a lot of time in between.

1 Like

Sorry, took a bit, I got… errr…lazy… but it’s in!

I just missed the daily build for today, so it should be in tomorrows build, once it’s in start blender-launcher.exe rather than blender.exe and say goodbye that annoying window :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Alembic Export. Everything is remembered each time you make an adjustment and export again in one session, but frame range.

Lets say you have a long animation on a face and you want to export a hair groom, fbx file and so on. You don’t want a frame range on the .abc.

If you forget to set it each time it can get annoying.

2 Likes

Export settings are always defaulted to the basic behaviour by exporting everything in your scene instead of a saved user setting that has selected objects only checked off. Several times I have forgotten that my .obj export settings are wrong, so I have to wait several minutes for the export to finish when making “_low” and “_high” versions of my model for baking in Substance Painter.

I haven’t found a way to fix this, so it has become a major pet peeve of mine as of late.

5 Likes

This is a hack, but maybe it will work for you.

Is there any reason why you export as .obj instead of .fbx? I’ve been using the latter practically since the first day I started exporting to SP, and it’s never given me any problems.

Has nothing to do with the file format rather than Blender itself. It’s the same deal with .fbx, since the Blender exporter has the checkbox unchecked in every default export setting.

1 Like

machin3tools has the export set to selected by default when you use the ctrl-s pie menu.

I also added keep vertex order to the version I’m using, no idea why that is not the default.

3 Likes

Importing/Exporting denser geo still kills me. Unless there’s a faster/better format.

I normally use FBX… but I think OBJ may have similar issues, but not positive.
I like FBX since it’s more widely used/more a standard, and it supports scale/keeping object transforms and other data.

But FBX In blender is one of the slowest I’ve come across. It takes maybe 5-10x longer to export/import to blender than most any other DCC. I can export from blender and it takes 10 min, but in 3ds max, it’s like 30 seconds. Keyshot is also insanely fast at importing FBX.

FBX is closed Source. Read more about it: FBX

• One Emty with color and Shape key can replace all Emties.
  • Light, Cam and Emties with color in all render-modes.
  • Point Instance doesn’t support Intancing on faces.

The code is all in Blender.

There was faster obj import / export gsoc, but it wasn’t fully finished sadly. Usd / alembic seem to be highest priority from file formats right now.

1 Like

If there was a face poke node that could provide a selection of the new points in the middle of the faces then that could work.

Collection can Instance on Points and Faces. So the code is there. I take a look at the instancer. They write the instancing function there again. :confused:
Maybe they have something different in mind.

Object
Object.001
Object.002

:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

No bat-guano thing… none.
Blender is pretty perfect, works like a charm allowing everything the user needsto do and needs no criticism at all. :crazy_face:

Happy blending !

4 Likes

Something to save objects, materials, combinations of modifiers, textures, without having to install add-on

Struggled with it for a quite while and i’ve had it. This has no justification, not in logic nor in usability or visual esthetics. Why are values in number input fields are being rounded up to closest decimals? Why is it being done only in visual side? actual number is still the one you’ve entered, you can see it once you’ve clicked on it. Otherwise it’s showing the rounded version. This is very confusing and annoying. If somewhere the values is 0.0005, it has to be shown as such and not as 0.0 Here is example with dof fstop value. Most of the time good value is between 0.2 and 0.05 and guess what, 0.05 is showing as 0.1. I cant imagine any situation in production when this behavior is either expected or needed. This is in the verge of being ridiculous. When you’re looking at field and see a value, you expect it to be the one it shows, not something else…

6 Likes

I get your frustration. Seems like a legitimate case to be annoyed about. But venting here about Blender issues, while helpful to relieve personal stress, will probably make zero difference.

Make a proper bug report for it instead. This way it’ll get a better attention from developers. Do it in respectful manner and explain well all your issues in the bug report.

6 Likes

I can relate - but what’s the solution here?

IDK, but none of any other 3D DCC apps has such bad UX with naming conventions. Which is fundamental to organizing a project.