What is the point in finished projects?

What is the point in finished projects? Almost every one I see is a WIP.
For example:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58447
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58892

It’s an opinion of weather it’s finsihed or not.

People naturally give crit on work that could be improved, and quite often it is. The idea is good for if you want to see finished work, but it is mis-used by people. Renders should only be placed in finished projects if the artist is definitely not going to do any more work on it

My thought exactly, they should be mention in the WIP thread, not the finish thread, why ain’t the mods enforcing these ideas is far beyon me.

My thought exactly, they should be mention in the WIP thread, not the finish thread, why ain’t the mods enforcing these ideas is far beyon me.[/quote]WIPs are for items which are being created. Ideally you’d screen dump your meshes etc… maybe show renders etc… and basically show you progress at each distinct “stage”.

Other members are there to help you achive your goal and iron out those bumps in your progress, by suggesting methods /tutorials to read to more hands-on helping.

Since these projects have no final output it is pretty impossible to “crit” the designer /artist, and it is not intended for that purpose.

Enter: finished projects. the final image for display; the end product - for gaining C&C on the actually piece. There is absolutly nothing wrong with making final adjustments or taking in advise and actually using it.

WIP is works in progress, using the first link as an example it is not a work in progress, the users intentions are not to get help on creating the final image, but simply C&C on the final image. As already said, taking in those C&C and applying them to their project is not really out of line.

If they are

taking in those C&C and applying them to their project

then it isn’t a finished project! Okay, I can see the point in C&C to help the artist, points to watch out for with their next propject for example, but if it is updated then the original wasn’t a finished project

i think its just that when people post, they think they are finished with it, and wont touch it anymore…
but then, after couple of comments, and because people always try to give out advices and opinions how it should’ve been done differently, they are not sure anymore, and post new versions of it…

which is… I admit, a bit strange.

but, if you think your work is done, you can post it. that simple. keep posting new version… I don’t know… maybe take it back to wip, or focused crits… I guess lot of times its just easier to continue on the same thread. system is not perfect.

.b

Well, at least change the thread topic name, like Finish C&C.

Help, help! I’m guilty of this! :frowning:

On the bright side, this thread made me decide not to update my oooold spaceship hallway (which I doubt anybody remembers, anyway).

[edit]Well, maybe I will after all.[/edit]

jikes, it shouldnt stop people being inspired!

i think just putting C&C on a thread if you decide to continiue it more and not get caught in the (old thread in wrong place new thread = lock) situation

surely that would be enough, lets not be too hard assed, but it is a small problem sometimes, i wish i had the answer, maybe osmebody does

No project is ever truly “finished”. You can always look back at it and find things that you’d like to change… and you might even get enough energy to make those changes.

Oh… and “finished”, as it’s used in Finished Projects, does not, in my opinion, mean “the artist isn’t working on it anymore.” There are plenty of projects and models that I have that I’m not working on anymore… I wouldn’t call any of them finished.

When you believe you have finished a project and you post it in the Finished project and you tell yourself. “I’m done with this one”

What if someone points out some details that could be easily implemented and improve your image considerably. Example, just chaning the direction of the shadows to improve compositions could be quickly implemented and change a lot.

The perfect example new_neo wants them to be in the “finished project” would be the Butterfly Effect (by @ndy) thread where everyone drools over the image rather than saying how it can be better (and I doubt that one can :D)

I’m not sure its all that important that artists change a bit their work after the comments but if it changes completely the image then maybe not. It just depends on the case…

See, your not thinking about what your saying. At the time of posting, it was finished. At the time of posting in the WIP section, the product isn’t complete.

You can’t argue that at the time of posting it wasn’t finished unless they said it was, in which case it should have been posted in the WIP forum.

If my project was to model a soda can and i had an incomplete mesh - i would post it in the WIP forum. since my goal and finial image is to be a complete soda can, untill it’s reached the stage i was aiming for, it’s a WIP.

Now, if i had fully modeled it, to how i wanted it or atleast to my liking (i.e. i don’t need to add anything, or think i do) then i will post it in the finished forum, where it belongs.

I might have missed something, and as part of a crit someone may have pointed out a flawd or shown a new way of doing it - whats wrong with posting revisions of what you’ve done? They are telling me how i’ve gone wrong and other C&C which will aid me in my other projects, but people also tell you how to improve the current image which can only really be applied to the image in question - if they dont then they probabily wont understand whats being said and it will all be a waste of time.

Finished projects isn’t a gallery, i sugesst that if you want to view “finished artwork” you go to deviantart.com where the only reply is “OMGosh you rocksor my sockzors dude” X 100000 members, where it is rather rare to see a second attempt at an image.

If finished projects isnt intended to be flexible in this way it might aswell just be tunt into a gallery, in which case it should just be deleted since we have a artwork gallery at blender3d.com.

It just seems rather stupid calling an image finished, then working on it more.

See, your not thinking about what your saying. At the time of posting, it was finished. At the time of posting in the WIP section, the product isn’t complete.

What? It was finished and now it’s not? See, your not thinking about what your saying.
I

might have missed something, and as part of a crit someone may have pointed out a flawd or shown a new way of doing it - whats wrong with posting revisions of what you’ve done?

They should have given the crit in WIP

I don’t know, but to me it’s like going to a gallery website or a profile and telling them they could do this and that and add blah, blah, blah.

So what differents does it make if it’s on a gallery or a elysiun thread ?

hmm…you see that everywhere? I see it happen maybe on a thread on 10 maybe…max…and why is it a bad thing?

someone may not have posted the image in WIP before…he worked on it by himself, finished it (he thought he had)…then post it in finished…people give crits…the author understand some things could have been better…he revised it and post again…it’s not liek he’ll do 100 more revision of it…so making a new thread in the WIP forum would be completly pointless…by adding the new image in the same thread it keeps the forum clean…and it’s perfectly good that way…

I really don’t see what bothes you there…people get better by trying to fix their mistakes…

he worked on it by himself, finished it (he thought he had)…then post it in finished…people give crits…the author understand some things could have been better

I always post in WIP. Never actually used finished projects because I don’t think I have perfected any renders. If I ever do think I have perfected one, I’ll post it there. That should be what it’s for.

I don’t know, but to me it’s like going to a gallery website or a profile and telling them they could do this and that and add blah, blah, blah. So what differents does it make if it’s on a gallery or a elysiun thread ?

I agree ( I think ). I wouldn’t go to a gallery and tell people to change their work (maybe give Van Gogh a C- :wink: )

Well, at least change the thread topic name, like Finish C&C.

Seems almost oxymoronic, “I’ve finished so how can I make it better?”
Finished projects does imply a gallery though