What is this technique/art style called?

Hello,

What is the name of the art style or types of models or techniques used to create these portraits? In particular, I am highly interested in this style where the character seems to be glitching between various stages of rendering/composition, as if they are being rendered out of particles or some sort of randomized “neural network” wireframe mesh. The idea is the figure seems like an AI being or is actively being “generated.”

Is this a technique best achieved in photoshop or Blender, and if so, what is this technique called?

The best I can come across is “low-poly wireframe mesh character” but that doesn’t bring up similar photos or capture this “glitch” technique or the appearance of the model being in varying stages of rendering or decomposition. I’m not an animator, I’d like to commission artwork like this, but I’m not sure how to find artists who specialize in this technique or have portfolio pieces of what I’m interested in.

Any advice or direction to find more artwork in this specific style or even suggestions of artists or portfolios would be hugely appreciated!

1 Like

Here’s more:

I think the 3rd image/render was done by a combination of “decimation”, “displacement” and “wireframe” modifiers.
Basically one can have a detailed mesh and subsurface the hell out off it and then use the displacement modifier to give it some choppiness in the surface and then use the decimate modifier to randomly create different resolution areas (based on surface flatness) and afterwards apply the wireframe modifier.

I have no idea what that style or procedure is called though

1 Like

Hello and welcome to BA !

There isn’t a particular keyword to describe this at least to my knowledge.
It’s taking inspiration from different things :

data visualisation :

point cloud visualisation :

star wars /sci-fi retro holographic device :

semi electron microscope imagery :

vhs artefact and glitch :

photogrametry :

The artist type you’re looking for is a motion designer or someone specialized in motion graphics. It’s a broad field in CG so you might find people doing corporate video, other doing VFX, comericals, intro sequence for film / series.
If you don’t plan to do animation maybe some illustrators or artists working with 3D might do.

It will involve 3D for the most part and also a good part of post processing that can be done in photoshop if you want only a static image.

At the end of the days their work is to take your specifics and inspiration from different things and make something unique out of it.

I can’t advice anyone in particular, but you can try to post something in the Job category of this forum. Especially if you’re willing to pay for the service, put together a few images that are the closest of what you’re looking for, and try to see if there is someone with a few years of experience that did similar stuff. You should be able to judge from their portfolio. And even if they didn’t do exactly what you want it’s part of the job to adapt to different subject, so if you find someone with work you like and their confident in being able to deliver, it’s ok if there isn’t similar stuff in their portfolio.

Good luck, feel free to ask if something isn’t clear !

1 Like

Amazing and helpful response! Thank you!

1 Like

Super helpful, thank you!