What leagal steps would be invovled?????

Hello there,
well iam from a small city of india and have been using Blender for som,etime now and iam a total fan of the best 3D app. ever!!! well i wouldnt say iam a advanced user but iam pretty much of an intermediate user, in my city there are lots of animation insititutes teaching various 3D apps for lots of money and time, now iam thinking of organising a workshop type of thing for 5 day where i can teach all about blender right from the interface to animation basics for a very low cost so that people here in india too can come to know about the wonders Blender can do and also i could make a little money :D… (thats aint the main aim!!). Now i want to is… is their any leagal steps that i have to do before conducting such a thing??? and is that a wise thing to do??? i mean any suggestion or anyuthing about my idea on such a workshop???
Also is it possible to distribute the various video tuts aviable on net… like the ones on the blender.org site itself… i mean givin them for free and not charing anyting for the software or the tutorials… the fees would be just for the efforts i put in!..anyone please can you guide me the right way and tell me the right ways… and also any suggestions are welcomed.

PS- please do reply with your honest comments … thanks in advance and please let me know if any leagal issues that i have to take care of… please please please iam eagerly waiting for your replies.

don007 , great choice of blender , it’s legal to distribute blender , so feel completly free , and if you want anyhelp with BGE , we will help you there in the BGE section .
P.S.
BGE = Blender Game Engine .

so i can arrange the workshop and class to teach about it and give the software and tutorials for free???

i mean i will be charning them to join the course but not for the material or software… so thats ok right???

and thanks a ton… i don know anything about the BGE yet… that wiould be a damn great help if you can do taht for me. i hope the people from my city can also make the best use of the besttttttttt 3D application… i just love blender!!!

are there any great video tuts on BGE out here???

so i can arrange the workshop and class to teach about it and give the software and tutorials for free???

i mean i will be charning them to join the course but not for the material or software… so thats ok right???

ask others , i may be not 100 % accurate man …

are there any great video tuts on BGE out here???

here are mine , they cover some basic and common things <hopefully>
here
and i give you the green light to use them , but you have to mention the authors name , good luck man …

definitely i will mention the authors name for sure … i dont want that credit… infact i want people to knw about such helpful people who take out time for us to make such nice tutorials…and their names should be known for sure… so i will take care of it… but i can distribute them as free materials to the people right???

PS— 3D guru is like incredibly helpful thanks alot man… people please let me know if you can tell me more about the legal issues for having a workshop where i can charge people for the teaching and not the software or material! thanks alo!!!

another :slight_smile: PS-- 3DGURU please may i know your name so that i can have it if in case this things works out… or else you can tell me at the time in case if this thing takes place in actual. thannks

Hey Don007- If you make it perfectly clear that people are paying for training, rather than the software, you shouldn’t have any problems with legalities (at least from the use of Blender)

but i can distribute them as free materials to the people right???

for mine , ya , distribute them without edit …
good luck man .

I’m not very well versed in the copyright field and stuff, but blender is open source, meaning it’s free and anyone can download the source code to modify it, etc… It’s a community app. So as far as using blender is concerned, you’re fine. But to use other ppl’s videos and websites for this, you have to get permission. And about charging for the course, I think that’s fine, except that it might seem like you’re charging for everything, not just for your time and effort so that might get messy, idk what you can do about that though. Good luck!

As far as distributing Blender goes, that is fine.
As for the tutorials, check the sites you get the tutorials from for information.
I don’t think there would be a problem if the tutorials are on the web for free.
However,it does not hurt at all to ask the author(s) of the tutorials for permissions to do so.
Most people are happy to help in this way.
I have asked several people for permission to redistribute or use their work & not one has said no.
So good luck with your classes, remember you are charging for your costs & your time.
If your classes have internet access, it still makes more sense to prepare the tutorials on disc first, rather than to waste class time downloading tutorials from the web.
m.a.

i’m thinking of educating Blender in Jordan , soon in 2008 … , i will give blender lectures in a well known company , Rubicon , by the welling of god .

Thank you so much all you wonderful people and yes i will make discs before hand so that i can give them after the course… and i will make it very clear thtat the material and software is comepletely free of cost and the fees is just for my time and effort…also i will make sure i ask the authour’s about using their tutorials and work. thanks alot … and yes still any suggestions or ideas to do it better are welcomed.

PS-can anyone please tell me… the user submitted 3D models avaiable at blndernation repository are free to use in own work if doing something commercial??? and if yes/no are their any more such sites where it is avaibale for free???

This will vary depending. Blender can be freely distributed & id sold you must also give the source code.

The tutorials & video tutorials are copyright of the respected owners. If you plan on using other tutorials make sure you ask permission to do so, & give clear details on what you want to do with the tutorials.
Just because the tutorials are freely available for use on the net does not mean you can distribute them & use them within a course(especially a paying one) without the appropriate permissions.

Beside that you’ll also have to find the legalities of educating people for money. This depends on your country. But for most if a customer is paying you for a service you are under law to provide it appropriately & there are rules on what you can & cant do. You’ll need to ask some who has a better understanding of the Indian law for that.

god bless you and i will always have my best wishes for u 3DGURU!!!surely u will teach and iam sure you will do the best job!!

can anyone please tell me… the user submitted 3D models avaiable at blndernation repository are free to use in own work if doing something commercial??? and if yes/no are their any more such sites where it is avaibale for free???

You should check the .nfo or the notes in the .blend files themselves (many times if you open a .blend file you have downloaded it will have a window set up as a text window which will have the permissions and such in there). I think for the models and such it is up to the submitter whether or not it would be allowed to be freely used.