What now for 2.35?

As far as I know, u can’t open a shortcut in windows. Would be simple to implement I guess?

1. A Render pause/resume feature would be handy.
  2. Saving renders in psd format and separating selected elements into different layers would also be a great addition.
  3. Import/Export dwg file format

[quote=“Al_Capone”]

http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile/py/disp_paint233i.py

Try that.[/quote]

That is cool, but if my suggestions were implemented it would be real time.

Oh and another feature I would like would be a render to UV layout. Unless there is a script for that one too.

Ngons aren’t all advantages, actually most professional modelers avoid Ngons because they don’t cope well with smoothing, animation and other model manipulation tools. If blender was to have Ngons there should be an option that takes the Ngons and breaks them into quads.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but development stuff goes on at blender.org, not here.

I learned this stuff from a post on blender.org, but it is worth duplicating here:

To copy and paste from the OS clipboard use ctrl-shift-c and ctrl-shift-v (Last I checked it only worked under windows though :frowning: )

The save thing I don’t understand, you just do file>save in the scripts window…

For long scripts, or for syntax highlighting there is a little work around. I like idle, but you can use whatever IDE you want. Start your script in idle and save it out where you can find it, then load the script in Blender without closing idle. Now when you want to test the script you save it in idle and hit alt-r in the text window and the script will reload.

I wouldn’t mind seeing some improvement in the Blender text window though. Auto indent would be nice, also block indent/dedent and clean indent. Syntax highlighting would be nice but I don’t think it is very likely. SPE looks interesting for a Blender IDE, but I couldn’t get into it.

Yea, like bryce terrain editor, I know what you mean. The mesh needs to stay at the bottom, sometimes it’s too powerful.

I recently found a big bug in blender, Halo objects won’t appear behind objects with ray transparency, but will with Z-transparency.

Ngons aren’t all advantages

As with everything else:/

actually most professional modelers avoid Ngons because they don’t cope well with smoothing, animation and other model manipulation tools.

Much like tris, but sometimes they can’t be avoided, and simply provide the best solution.

If blender was to have Ngons there should be an option that takes the Ngons and breaks them into quads.

Bad idea. You’d lose contol over topology. Better to do it manually, and still easier than having to rearrange and delete redundant edges created because there’s no n-gon support( which is driving me nuts on my latest model):confused:

I’d prefer an option to turn n-gons on or off. This way we could have the best of both worlds.

ngons are just a bunch of triangles anyway beleave me, I rarely use them in packages that suport it anyway. You just end up losing control over the tries inside. Plus the lack of them forces you to pay more attention to how you model and you will wind up with a cleaner result.

Agreed ngons are best avoided on finished products. They are, however, a bonus during model creation. Like I said, experienced modellers know exactly how they want their finished mesh to be like. On SubD stuff we want all or mostly Quads but we don’t want to be hassled with Tri’s while we get there. A Quad is 2 Tri’s with a hidden edge. Why not take it one further and have 3 Tri’s with 2 hidden edges (faked NGons) or 3 hidden edges?

Here is a picture without Ngons:

http://www.maxon.de/pages/products/c4d/images/highlights/modelling/ngon_a.jpg

Here is one with Ngons:

http://www.maxon.de/pages/products/c4d/images/highlights/modelling/ngon_b.jpg

Which looks clearer and easier to manipulate? I think #2. I commonly use Ngons in XSI and in Wings3D - in both they smooth beautifully and really help me in the modeling process and many things that would me huge work with quads can bo done in a snap with Ngons.

What are ngons?

I updated my feature proposal again:

Different Cursors for Blender
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

It’s true that the model in image 2 looks easier to work with but the model in image 1 hasn’t been modelled all that well - it just looks as though the ngon model has been tessellated automatically. Ngons, which for Jedi Dawn are polygons with more than 4 sides, are ok but I don’t think they are popular in game engines.

Since starting with Blender, I never use ngons because subdivisions default to subdividing by 4. If you have anything other than quads, subds are more likely to mess up. They aren’t well supported in import/export either, so even if you’ve gone to all the bother of carefully modelling with ngons, if you export to a different modeller, there is a chance that the model will end up looking like image 2, which it really wouldn’t if you carefully modelled using quads from the ground up.

I do think that Blender would benefit from being able to deal with ngons but not allow the creation of them. When there is a model that is imported with ngons like VRML, Blender just doesn’t open the file. If it would open it then autotessellate, that would be fine. Not supporting ngons leads to better modelling practises.

I or anybody else didn’t say Ngons were entirely faulty, they can be good when it comes to still images that don’t need to be subsurfed.

What differents does it make, it can be converted in quads anyways.

While this may look good, in itself it is nothing more than planar edges removal, something Blender already does when looking at wireframes in object mode. If the back end doesn’t support true ngon operations, you’re only shooting yourself in the foot by dealing with triangles in themselves and hidding them as ngons. Just hidding the lines is child’s play dealing with ngon in a structured and sane way is less.

Martin

Man, all I can think of is this:

Greater customization of “starfields.” I wish I could add color and/or materials/textures to the stars. I was trying to use them as floating underwater particles, and it didn’t work. Also, it would be great if there was and IPO so that they could slowly drift along.

Of course, I could always use particles, but I think the built in starfields are great, and could be very powerful.

At least some color would be nice, if its not too much to ask.

Thanks,
Micah

I believe the starfields are a 2d effect, making that an impossibility. Particles aren’t hard to manage in such an environment, Robert Tiess (sp?) made an awesome underwater scene with dolphins.