What Nvidia GPU Drivers does blender support?

[SOLVED]

I recently installed an Nvidia GeForce beta driver 334.67 for use with a program that required it. I then realized that In the user preferences of blender, I could not select CUDA rendering under the compute device.

I do not know if the diver is the problem, but what graphics drivers can blender support? Will I have to downgrade the driver to be able to render with my GPU?

Hi, look here https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

Got similar problem-recent Windows 64 builds from Graphicall cause “Blender stopped working…” or even freeze whole Windows on F12 render or one 3D window render w/GPU mode on.

Rendering with the GPU Blender Foundation only supports Cuda Kernels 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.5
anything under 2.0 you won’t be able to use for rendering.
Use BaRe link above to see what your graphic cards cuda kernel is :slight_smile:
Drivers shouldn’t effect it.

Cheers,
~Tung

Obviously (see my footnote) its not the issue w/CUDA version, rather than collision w/latest nvidia drivers and compiled cuda kernel.
Example: yesterday I took your build and Blender crashed upon render and animation, countrary I tried build by Alb - so far it works…)) It been happening since ca.last week or so. (I download latest builds on daily basis).

Hi DeltaEnergy5, I even cant install this driver on my Win 8 system (No compatible Hardware found).
Specs in my signature.

Cheers, mib.

I have 3.0, the gpu itself is not the problem. GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST

Yesterday it didn’t work… Today it works?? Well whatever [SOLVED] I guess.

Hmmm… Could be that I compile with Cuda Toolkit 5.5 (bf officially use 5.0) I’ll try a 5.0 build tomorrow.

Your build from today crashes on F12 also…(while in window Render Mode is ok)

I tried this scene…

Using the build you said crashed by using f12 and with todays build (I used 5.0 to build with today) as well and both builds rendered without crashing by using f12.
Do you have a scene that you can share that can reproduce the crash?
if so, I’ll also check to see if a bug that needs fixing :slight_smile:

Cheers,
~Tung

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

Think I figured it out:
I’ve been using Blender having just put it into dir: D:/Blender Foundation/Blender-thats it/ no real installation, everytime new build from Graphicall appears I just overwrite dir tree, I keep only ‘Addon’ dir (all the thing from Addon contrib are put into Addon),
I started experimenting same blend files w/both resident Blender and some newly downloaded - in this case: C:\Users…\Download…
What I noticed those newly downloaded build DID NOT crash on F12 , I looked into C:\User[USER]\Appdata\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.69\config and discovered Blender (even if not installed) creates little dir tree w/preferences files ,guess what…
after DELETING prefs dir evrything goes smootly.
Once(but it was some 10 years ago))) there was very similar problem /w Bentley now(then-Intergraph’s) MIcroStation and its prefs file, which if altered often -grew and simply crashed the software in most unexpected moments, looks same situation we have here. ??

I am having the same issue. Not sure when the problem first occurred may have been a Windows Update or NVidia driver update or Cuda update but I can no longer select GPU rendering from blender. Any suggestions, have tried using older NVidia drivers and older Cuda versions and older versions of blender all with no success.