What will be really be possible to do with Blender 2.8 for game creation?

Sorry for the mistake in the title of the thread I cannot edit that

Hello all,
I am quite confused with what gonna happen to the Blender Game engine when Blender 2.8 will be released.

I understand that it will integrate Blender better, but its getting confusing. Do someone have answer to those simple questions below :

1.Will we still be able to create game and export them into stand alone as we can now?

1. Will we be able to create games like Krum and other few and post them like on steam or other platform for sale?

2. Will the new “BGE” be more powerful and let us create more beautiful games with more complex model and graphic?

3. Will we have to relearn this new engine from scratch or will it follow in the steps of what we already have?

Maybe you guys do not have all the answer but it would really help, as I’m getting to learn BGE more now and I would like to know what the future holds for it.

Thanks

Confused? Welcome to the club! :smiley:
There are no precise statements from the blender foundation regarding what will happen in the game engine area. The most I could get is that the current way of drawing stuff (the rasterizer) should use or reuse more of the viewport code.
That’s pretty much irrelevant because the engine - which is already a better renderer than the viewport, at least in the 2.6- versions - doesn’t need a different way to paint stuff, it needs some heavy restructuring in some key parts - like part of the rasterizer, the starter, the main loop, the converter, the logic and the scripting layers. The scenegraph is fine.
If one allows a certain degree of backward incompatibility, it’s not even hard to do - it takes time but it’s not fusion rockets science.
Fortunately we have the good fellows of UPBGE that are working hard to take bge out of the stone age.
A thing that should be done in the master branch but for some reason the foundation thinks it’s not a good idea.

Hello burnin,

I have checked this and only the first posts are a bit ok to read. The rest is quite an agitated argument. I have looked at the site of this project its quite slim. It would be awesome if it could become an add-on but its really at an early stage.

But what I would really want to know is what the official release will let us do?

I was in a hurry did not see your post pgi sorry. So the direction BF is going is not clear and what will the render of the next “Gme engine” will look like is unkown. Give headache :spin:.

Ok, have anyone touched that UPBGE. On this one too theres still a lot of shadows.

1. Are they really re-using the actual BGE code, at least this is what I understood. If yes wont that just be an upgrade.

2. Where can we get this to test?

3. Will that truly integrate the next official release as they said or put aside as Richard said above?

What do we know about the plan for BGE in the future? Well, that link given by Marklow (https://code.blender.org/2013/06/blender-roadmap-2-7-2-8-and-beyond/) is the only information we have.
Everything else is speculation. Heck, people I know who’ve spoken to Ton have come away unsure what the heck an interactive mode is!

Currently there are two main opposing views:

1. The interactive mode will be like the old aims for the BGE: tightly integrated with blender allowing it to use blender’s particles, fluid sim, etc, etc. The fantastic game-engine-all-in-one tool will be improved. People who think this are supportive of the change
  2. The interactive mode will be for modeling/animation only an dunusable for making games. People who think this do not want the change.

Myself? I’ll just wait and see. If it’s #1, great, if it’s #2, well, then I’ll go elsewhere or use UPBGE.
UPBGE is a community project to improve BGE, it is not official but looks quite promising. You can either compule UPBGE yourself or download a windows or Linux build from Graphicall

Hello sdfgeoff, thanks for answer. I’ll give UPBGE a try.

Hope that BF could at least check what they are doing and maybe decide to integrate their work in the official release.

Do we have an idea when 2.8 is coming out? I’m still curious what will it look like, that new engine they have mentioned.

Well the official blender is merged in UPBGE, so you get 2.8 with UPBGE. :slight_smile:

At the moment the huge OpenGL upgrade takes place in Blender. Are the BGE developers also helping on their end with it? As far as I have seen it, this isn’t happening at the moment, but I might be wrong about that!
Right now, there is a huge chance for the BGE to get closer to Blender again and also for the developer relation among those teams. They could actively work together on OpenGL and also on physically based rendering, but I fear that some of them instead prefer to do their own thing with UPBGE. It is absolutely possible, that I am wrong about it. But from my outside perspective, it seems that they are not taking that huge opportunity.

This thing about the viewport update is, in my opinion, a bit misleading. Despite being a little messy, the game engine has a better (both in structure and performance) renderer than the editor. It is not possible to simply switch the viewport to use the engine though because they operate on different data structures. Using the current viewport renderer for the engine would be a step backward. If the viewport renderer is upgraded to be on par or better than what the game engine has, then there is an advantage.
It would be interesting to know how they plan to do it, because of that difference in the data structures.
I have not found anything suggesting that a plan on the subject exists.

one click project done.
No Serious, arent bi Mateials glsl Nodes awesome never useded them a lot ,abit in 2.4, but they are hard to use.

Cycles nodes are more easy but not much viewport feedback. so hmmmmmmmm some OPENGL filters would be nice dof, lensflares,motion, blur,ao…and all compstiting in viewprort with cycles.

That means From Dont know 3.5 mb blender to 1 gb 2gb who Knows. bye

Of course it is not simple to just use another renderer and of course the data structures won’t be identical. But since it is being developed right now, it would be the time to join and make sure that the requirements of the game engine can also be considered.

@Dantus, theres some work on a pbs. for PBS look here -> https://github.com/UPBGE/blender/pull/26

That would be nice but it is not going to happen because blender is an open source project developed behind well closed doors.

That just seems to be a custom solution for the game engine. No joint forces.

There was a call for people to help with the OpenGL upgrade. At least for that, there don’t seem to be closed doors.
The chance that an actual collaboration can take place between Blender and Blender Game Engine developers is way higher if there is one topic that is relevant for both sides, like physically based shading. That looks like an awesome opportunity and I really hope that the game engine developers see it and at least give it a try.

Will Blender upgrade to OpenGl 4.5 before the Vulcan ?

Just to confirm and ensure nobody is mislead: I believe you meant that UPBGE is based off of official Blender, so a future build of UPBGE will be based off of Blender 2.8. Correct?

Based on what I read, the project will eventually diverge to the point where UPBGE users no longer get the advances being made in the version developed by the BF (due to code differences).

Depending on how fast the progress is, there may not be any Blender 2.8 features for anyone using the fork unless they have someone who can put in the work to port everything over. Too bad as well since it seems they have what it takes to play an instrumental role in getting the interactive engine to become what the BGE wished it could be (because eventually they will need their own set of coders for every other area of Blender needed for a BGE-type workflow such as the modeler).

Or, they can strip out everything related to Blender in their fork except the bare essentials needed for the BGE, develop a UI specifically for game engines, and have an import feature that can read .blend files (so they can just focus on game creation features like they are doing now).

TwisterGE is working pbr now, and they are adding environment maps etc soon from what I gather, they were working/investigating roughness etc.

http://jmonkeyengine.org/299803/physically-based-rendering-part-one/
Was a doc he was looking at.

Hello all,
Thanks for your different comments. It went a bit away from what I was looking for but I do understand that only time will bring answer to some question or if by any chance a DEV would gracefully enlighten us :).

For UPBGE its seems to be promissing but I cant help myself to have some questions.

1. I know that its in a development state, but is someone using it for a project?

2. I am actually learning the BGE. Whta would you guys advice. To put the normal BGE aside and start to learn UPBGE or to first master to
    a certain extent BGE and then move to UPBGE?

3. Wont not knowing python be a serious disadvantage to work with UPBGE?

1. I don’t know

2. There is no difference between the UPBGE and BGE for learning. The difference is mainly small tweaks to increase speed and visual enhancements. If you learn BGE, all the knowledge will transfer to UPBGE.

3. Not knowing programming will be a huge disadvantage for any game engine. It doesn’t matter if it’s BGE, UPBGE, Unreal, Unity etc. You will (at some point) need to learn programming.