What will the horizontal uv be like

Hi guys. what does a horizontal uv look like in blender and how do you know it’s a horizontal uv

Welcome to BA :slight_smile: What is a horizontal UV? Can you provide an example or screenshot of what you’re looking for?

If you mean a horizontally tiled uv map, that’s uv mapping intended for an image texture that’s tilable (you can’t see the seam) left-right but not up-down. A common example is one of NASA’s Blue Marble (Earth) textures on Blender’s UV Sphere primitive made with Generate UVs checked:

You can see both the UV map and the texture are set up so that on the model the texture “tiles” seamlessly right-left, or horizontally. But not up-down – an attempt to tile this image vertically would butt the South Pole up against the North Pole, the seam between instances of the image would be obvious.

Because of the UV mapping at the poles not all of the image there will show on the model (only what’s covered by the mapped polygons), and there are other potential issues with the poling on the Sphere model, but those are outside the scope of your question (as I understand it – if I haven’t then Joseph’s right, we need more on what you’re looking for).

Here’s a tutorial on what I did above:

Welcome :tada:

…you are not talking about horizontal ultra violet light sources… are you?

1 Like

i created a uv and what should i do to make it horizontal. even if I turn 90 degrees, they said that it is not horizontal.

I couldn’t send the picture so I can’t see the details. but i have to say that my model has 2 materials, m1 material map is horizontal, i created it from reference. Of course, by the patterns in the reference, but the m2 material doesn’t have patterns in the reference, it’s just metal, how do you know the UV map is horizontal?

UV’s are two dimensonal attributes for a three dimensionl object… they are by definition nether horizontal nor vertical but they do have a horizontal (U) and a vertical (V) component… ( see also (U,V) further down this post… )

This does have nothing to do with any orientaion in 3D space… because you loose one dimension from 3D (XYZ) to 2d (UV)…

…so: your question: just do not make any sense… :exclamation:

You may just tell us where you do have this term/information from…
… or you may have to look at some “explanations” of UV’s:

https://www.g2.com/articles/uv-mapping

Because:

Who are they ?

You second material has no pattern because the reference has none… so what is the question ?

The just aren’t… it’s not like the horizontal or vertical orientation of a non-equal-ratio image… the UV-space is square by definition so any non-square used images starts an (U,V) = (0.0, 0.0) and spans over to / across (U,V) = (1.0,1.0). Every outlying coordinate uses just this area repeatively…

In the UV’s there are only two dimensions… so any pattern may follow the horizontal or vertical “orientation” in UV space… or any other rotated orientation…

:person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Who said it is not Horizontal? What is the Project? I think they are adding terminology that they think is correct but makes no sense, UVs are always horizontal, and verticle.

1 Like

@Strannyy I’m sorry, but I can’t grasp what you’re talking about here. We need some screenshots or some other visual representation

I can’t upload a picture. I think I have a limitation

Yes, I said it myself, it’s not complicated, but they pretend it is

Who are they? What isn’t complicated? What is a horizontal UV? We can’t read your mind, man. Stop talking in riddles and tell us what you are trying to do. Or don’t, keep talking in riddles, but you’re not going to get any help that way :person_shrugging:

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, is English your first language? (Some of your phrasing could be from transliteration).

If you can’t upload pictures here because you’re a new user you can use an image posting site, upload there, and post a link here. However, you should still be able to see the screenshots I posted above unless you have data limits on your end. This is a forum about a 3D software, our communication tends to be graphics-heavy, and if you can’t see our images or post (somewhere) images yourself I’m not sure how much help we can be to you. :confounded:

1 Like

I got the answer, thanks for everything

I don’t use English at all, I don’t need a reason, I just searched far away for what I wanted to know.

Well… that’s not very nice… making everyone curious…
…and then nothing…

WWWwhhhahatttt…???

Good luck.

1 Like

This thread was awesome.

This was actually hilarious to read. :joy: Gonna go check if all my UVs are horizontal. Don’t wanna make them angry.

1 Like

Got to Bookmark this one … Right Now!