What's going to happen to old add-ons in Blender 2.8?

Some of the add-ons I use are even 2, 3 years old, long forgotten by their developers but still useful. Will they still work in 2.8?

They will all die!!! ^^

2 Likes

I think many of these can quickly be updated and revised by making sure they use the new api

1 Like

Yes all the addons that are shipped with Blender will be updated by the Blender devs I guess, and all the independent ones will have to be maintained by their own devs :slight_smile:

1 Like

By the way, I can’t get the addons working when I build Blender, should update the addons when I run make update right ? (I mean the ones that are already up to date)

upbge is still being updated.

most of the old addons that are not ported to 2.8 should be safe to grow in it.

Edit: this is not off topic- UPBGE is still improving BGE and will be keeping blender internal / old systems.

OLD ADDONS that wish to keep growing can jump to upbge.

2.8 is cool and all, but you can’t run it on a potato like Bi.

For smaller addons it’s really not much more than just swapping some variable names and they will work again.

1 Like

Hi, do you finish building with
make install ?
It copies all to /bin addons included

Cheers, mib

1 Like

Well on windows when I try to run make install it says that command “install” is unknown :confused:

Oh, I am on Linux, no idea about compiling on Windows.

Mib

in 2.8 will there be a sort of tool panel
where we can add addon panels ?

I saw also some change in API for 2.8
for some properties

don’t know is there a list of all changes in API for 2.8 ?

thanks
happy bl

There I a list of the changes right here, it is still WIP but it is a good start

I guess Git commands are the same on Linux and Windows.
In the folder where you have the local Blender repository, you try the following before compiling:
git pull

git submodule init

git submodule update

1 Like

Great, I’ll try that :slight_smile: thanks !

A good amount of what I do, I do with 3D printing in mind, as such, I’m far less concerned with appearance, animation, sculpting, EEvee, Cycles, rendering, than I am with whether or not the finished product will print.

The priorities, emphasis, and showcase seem to be focused on just about everything else but.

Towards that end, I rely on a good amount of what isn’t available at the moment: addons. Including those that have been approved for previous editions of Blender.

As such, I wind up falling back on Blender 2.79x simply because, even at this point of the process, what I’d like to get done, I can’t except circuitiously, by import or by working with what does work (the basic solids - Cube, Icosahedron and Sphere) and, yes, I’m of full understanding that it’s not even beta yet or won’t be fully released until sometime next year, and, I, as much as many others tune in to Blender Today on Youtube as well as the contributions of others to see just what will change and how.

What I see is impressive, BUT, unrelated to what I’d like to do. And, on top of that, I’ve got to relearn and rethink process, because the layout and commands are changing.

And, yes, I get that it is being done in attempts to improve process and workflow.

It’s still something that will have to be relearned nonetheless.

So, yay for all the improvements for those who will use the lion’s share of them.

Those of us who won’t and don’t, like me, don’t yet have something to look at, other than maybe the addons I’m used to working with will work or that they will be upgraded.

Firefox did the same thing.

I stopped using Firefox as a result.

They didn’t just interrupt or change my work flow, they killed it outright.

So I understand, the Beta will be when the features are frozen and presumably all that 2.8 will be, will be up and running. So, at this point, judgment is premature. End of October as I understand.

Wait and see.

I could be wrong ,but I think addons are updated when you do “make update”. I have seen changes made to addon files.

Where is “Make Update”?