What's the best mouse for Blender?

Hi folks,

Just having my Logitech MX getting old, i wonder what mouse could come next.
Actually, the Logitech latest drivers finally made it possible to program the scroll wheel as a real button… Yet, what mouse do you, folks, use? Which makes it the best adapted to the usual operations asked for a three button mouse?
I’ll be greedy for your comments and will certainly be quite influenced for the planed new mouse acquisition!
Thanks in advance and… HAVE A NICE CHRISTMAS AND A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR!!!
BR
Almux

I currently have a Naga Razer Hex and it works great for programming the buttons to various tasks, although admittedly I haven’t experimented with all of them. There are six buttons on the side that you can map to the numpad keys for quick maneuvering the viewport views. I paid about $80 for it and i don’t regret it one bit.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll have a look them next to see the compatibility with a Mac and where to get it from Switzerland.
The actual Logitech Revolution MX is a little more then a 100$… No regrets neither yet this mouse is great for many jobs, it is still not really thought for 3D.

I have a R.A.T. 7 and it’s fantastic for Blender. Programmable buttons, a button that lowers the DPI while you hold it for tiny movements, and switchable “modes” so that I can have one key setup for object mode, another for sculpting, edit mode, etc. Also, it’s the only mouse I’ve ever used that feels big enough for my hand. I couldn’t be happier with it.

Wow! Seams great! Maybe a bit complicated and a “gamer style” i’m not really used to, but it worth a close look. Plus, the prices are quite fare in comparison (at least here in Switzerland). Wonder if drivers for Mac are all right…

It’d definitely a gamer mouse, but don’t let the crazy design fool you, it’s the best mouse I’ve ever used. The “exploded exoskeleton” look allows it to be sized up and down in all directions, and the additional parts that it comes with means that it allows for excellent customization. My favorite is a piece that attaches to the right hand size for your pinky to sit on, preventing it from rubbing along the desk. Sounds like a small thing, but with big hands it’s something I didn’t even know I always wanted.

Not sure about Mac drivers, but a quick Google search says that they seem to be up to snuff.

Those R.A.T. mice are fantastic. Maybe that’s what I’ll get next time.

Great hints fellows!
I’ll probably get on chase for that one.
Thanks and have nice New Year on a spree!!

That R.A.T. mouse looks pretty funky. I assume the knobs are for adjusting the form of the mouse for comfort?

I’m currently using a Sharkoon FireGlider, which is quite nice. I wouldn’t go back to the cheap, basic mice that comes with most PCs. Only problem I have with it is that the ribbed thumb pad gets dirty really easily.

I’ve used the R.A.T. 9 (same as 7, just wireless) and i couldn’t be happier with the shortcuts. However, the scrollwheel is not ideal for clicking often to orbit and pan, and would leave my finger pricked and sore at the end of each day. I recently purchased a Logitech T400 which has a glass trackpad in place of the scrollwheel and my finger couldn’t thank me enough! There aren’t any drivers for mac however, forcing me to get used to clicking the back third of the trackpad to use the middle click, but once i used it on windows, i was able to change the settings to use the whole trackpad as the middle click, as the front two-thirds brings up the start menu by default. I also use a steelseries apex keyboard for quick shortcuts, as it has 10 macro keys (keys that exist for no other reason than to program shortcuts into them) to the left of the qwerty keyboard. Like the R.A.T., the apex keyboard also has different switchable modes which boast different keystroke shortcuts as well as different lighting setups. It can also be programmed to open an entirely new profile when an application is active, which i have for blender.

Hope this helps someone!

I was looking for a new mouse that would also benefit Blender, and I can say that the Microsoft Wireless 5000 is not that mouse.

While it’s an excellent mouse for general use, its middle click button actually has a delay that can’t be fixed, not to mention the middle click button it hard to actually press in without straining your finger.

What I really want is the old school Microsoft Optical mouse, wireless.

I use a Logitech wireless that has a symmetrical design so you can use it in either hand.

I find this to be the best Blender mouse. http://youtu.be/sYFo6-AWuxM?t=3m32s

I just got the RAT 5, and so far I am loving it. Was a bit weird at first, but after a couple of hours, and programing some simple functions like Render to the side buttons, it’s working out well for me.

I recently bought the Logitech G700s gaming mouse and do not recommend it for Blender as the middle scroll wheel is way to stiff and leads to mistakes and a sore finger. Microsoft mice have a softer middle scroll wheel click but their product offerings are not great. The RAT mice seem to be well liked here. Can anyone here confirm that the middle scroll wheel on the RAT mice don’t require too much pressure?

With my middle finger the MMB on my RAT7 is just right. Not so hard that it’s any kind of effort, but not so soft that you’re accidentally clicking it either.

Thanks for the info. It’s impossible to determine such things when purchasing via online shopping. I just ordered the RAT7 (via Blendernation Amazon link of course).

BTW - I find it awesome the RAT7 comes in Blender dark grey with orange highlights. :wink: