What's the catch of Turbo Render?

I found this Turbo Render thing whilst searching for temporal denoising in Blender. According to the author, it can denoise so well that it gives sharper results with lower samples, and it can also do temporal denoising. But if that is true, why aren’t all serious Blender users using this add-on? There must be some kind of catch… right?

1 Like

I’m surprised you don’t think many people are using it. There are a lot of serious Blender users and studios using it, thousand of users, and it’s one of the most popular rendering addons on Blender Market recently with over $60,000 in sales over the last 12 months (including Gumroad sales). It’s in use in over 200 countries (according to the Gumroad stats), and it’s also been featured on some of the big youtube channels for blender, such as askNK, and Southern Shotty did a full video on it. Customer feedback has been so good that the Blender Market featured it on the home page’s staff picks and newsletter recently.

What made you think it isn’t used by many people?

2 Likes

p.s, it also has excellent ratings on both Gumroad and Blender Market. You can see them here (blender market has written reviews too, just stars on Gumroad):

2 Likes

Welcome to the open source blender world - where the Devs are likely to be the person that responds to your post about Add-ons… lol.

Stop thinking every blender user is a professional hyper realistic movie maker. Micheal’s tool is not needed by all the grease pencil / anime artists. Or the single frame product renderers.

If you are wanting faster renders, look at optimising your scenes. Can you slice it up into foreground, mid ground and background ? Can the background be pre-rendered as a single frame and composited in behind the render?
There are lots of optimise tutorials around. Micheal’s is just one solution for those of us who cannot afford the latest hardware.

3 Likes

Very good points, I would disagree about it not being suitable for single frame renders though, that’s what I generally use it for the most in my client work. It’s especially worth it for more complex scenes that have lots of bounced lighting (such as interiors). The longer your image usually takes to render, then the more time Turbo Render will reduce the render time by. On my 1070, my client stills used to take around 15 to 30 mins, but they’re down to around 40 seconds now with Turbo Render enabled (one of the features of Turbo Tools).

It’s also suitable for those who can afford the latest hardware, each scene will be sped up by the same percentage across all graphics cards (the percentage will be variable dependant on how long the scene would take without the addon as mentioned above)

For those without the addon, I also offer a few video’s on my youtube with some tips for speeding up rendering in the viewport and final render (to a lesser degree than the addon, but still super useful).

2 Likes

I’ve previously worked with E-Cycles (if you don’t know it, it was basically a version of Cycles that was faster than regular Cycles so many professionals used it until it ceased to exist sometime in 2022) and am a Turbo Tools user now. It works.

The only “catch” is that it is another little thing you have to make some effort to understand and use correctly. However, there is no such tool (as of yet) that doesn’t require your effort to understand, giving you a boost in any case and any scene.

But again, in my opinion there is no catch of Turbo Tools. It does simply speed up your rendering and gives you better quality images using lower sample counts (as per my experience).

2 Likes

Just chiming in here to say that I felt the same way when I first saw Turbo Tools. It sounded almost too good to be true. But I wasn’t finding any more attractive solution for temporal denoising, so I gave it a go, and now I use it all the time.

There are a lot of options in the tool, and so I have had questions from time to time when working on more complex scenes. Michael’s customer support has been top notch every time. I think you can see the same in his responsiveness to questions posted here on BA as well: 🚀 Turbo Tools V3 - includes Turbo Render for MUCH FASTER Cycles renders! - #435 by Michael_Campbell

2 Likes

With Turbo Tools, how can I keep the texture in the HDRI-background as seen in the view layer? All texture disappears in the composite layer. There is a volume (fog) in the scene. Never mind the white spots in the foreground. Thanks, Koen

View layer

composite

Hi 1kover, for support please use the support contact details provided with your receipt :+1: