What's the highest mesh resolution you created?

Hi,

I’m toying around with Blender, trying to get the highest grid resolution possible. So far I was able to get to 7782x7782 (or 4096 * 1.9) which created around 60,5m vertices and kicked my RAM to around 37Gb.

Any of my later attempts for increasing the resolution always caused Blender to crash.

Correct me, if I’m wrong, but I think I saw somewhere that people have worked with even more intense scene than this. Or is there a difference between having so many vertices in a scene vs so many vertices on a single object?

I could do this for a while to find out myself, but why not to ask, if someone can maybe tell me where is roughly the ceiling. Even if just for fun. :slight_smile:

blender의 Working Limits

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/advanced/limits.html

add…

How many tris can you have in a blender scene before it crashes?
There doesn’t seem to be any clear official information. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There’s not a specific ceiling, it depends on your CPU, RAM, PSU, GPU, VRAM, number of monitors, motherboard, running and background processes, how hot it is, how efficient your computer cooling is, how long it’s been since you restarted your computer, OS, and about a million other factors. Any search for a magic number that is the upper limit is pointless, because there’s always optimizations that could be made. Even if you have the best CPU on the market, it’s still not going to be powerful as if you were running it in a vacuum chamber submerged in liquid nitrogen, and so forth

3 Likes

. * proceeds to buy liquid nitrogen *

1 Like

I remember this thread:

One thing is the amount of poly’s you can squeeze in without Blender hanging/crashing and another the amount that lets you practically work with the scene.

I think that yes it is not the same one object with 20 millions verts as 100 objects that add up to 20 million.

I have never gone over 5 million (total - many objects), as things start to get frustrating.

2 Likes

At some point all these polys need to be stored in RAM and VRAM, so my bet is that it’s going to take the same amount of memory if it’s on one object or split in several. But it’s also very possible that the performances will be different if the same amount of polys is split in several objects. But obviously if there is too many objects then it will start to get slow too…

It’s very likely that getting more RAM and more VRAM would allow you to work with more polys…
Keep in mind tho, that Undo data also need to be store somewhere, and other things like textures, renders will need memory so you need to account for space there too…

Yeah, maybe that depends on their hardware, it’s also possible to take advantage of instancing so you have virtually more polys. That’s at least one important tool to manage big scenes.

Personally with my computer I get really slow performances when I’m near the 10/20 millions mark. Finally it’s good to be remembered that complex images doesn’t always mean complex geometry. Especially in large scale environment you need to manage polycount and you can get nice result without killing your PC…

1 Like