What's wrong with topology? (bad smoothing)

What should i do to fix it?

Enable auto-smoothing and set the angle to around 35, should help. Also look into sharp edges.

First of all, switch to one of the modes where you have per-pixel shading (such as “Material”), it may already look better. Don’t obsess over these details too early on, they may not be noticeable in the finished piece, with all the textures and materials applied.

Secondly, you need more geometry for automatic smoothing to work better. Adding sharp edges may help, but they (obviously) end up sharp. You can also look into custom normal editing, but it’s tedious.

What you should do depends largely on what this is and what you intend to do with it, and the answer may well be ‘nothing’.

But the first thing I’d do is make your edge lengths more uniform, eliminate those weird triangular-shaped quads that seem to be there for no good reason.

give this addon a try,works very well

but since your model is curved,i would try to make the edges to the outside more straight,not so triangle like.this could eliminate the height difference in the mesh,you have now.(best is to have the edges with same spaces at the outside,for a even curve ,like a part of a circle ,if this is what you want)

then apply the weighted normals addon,and see if it helps

Kinda like this?

Well, not quite what I meant. They are straight now, but not uniform in length.

Maybe first You will clarify what means “uniform”? I’m noob about modeling (well, that’s obviously. Or maybe it’s about english, i’m still missing with it), it’s like equal, yeah?

it’s like equal, yeah?

yep. Specifically, the edges that are more or less horizontal in the picture are long-short-long-short-long, etc. You don’t want that.

Look, we can talk all day, trying to divine what the other means, or you can post the .blend.

Oh, ok
Helmet-fixin.blend (1.9 MB)
Also I changed topology a bit, it’s better, I think, but still…

Helmet-fixin.blend (1.6 MB)

This is probably as smooth as you can get this without resorting to normal editing.

1 Like