What's your New Year's Resolution?

Mine is just a simple 1920 x 1080 this year. Not too high, not to low, and a nicely balanced aspect ratio.

8 Likes

Same! Been on FullHD 16:9 since 2017 and still on it to this day. Thought about purchasing at least a 2K monitor for myself or even higher, but didn’t. FullHD’s still satisfies my needs. Also, I don’t think GTX 1060 6GB could handle 4K, maybe some 2K games, but not 4K for sure.

2 Likes

and to think i was coming in here to make a pc monitor joke…

1 Like

I suppose great minds think alike!

Going to stick to 2560 x 1440, recently got my brothers old RTX 3080 after he upgraded to a RX 7900 XTX but i have been too lazy to install it (currently running RTX 2070 Super)

As for actual goals for the new year, i hope to find some.

3 Likes

I tried to shoot for 3840 x 2160 in 2023, but that was too ambitious, too fast, so now I’ll merely try to shoot for 640 x 480 for now. Baby steps…

2 Likes

Goals?

Boston Bruins scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal!

1 Like

4096 x 1716 is the rule for now.

Plan to finish about 5 mins of ot it.

Project we have done tons of prepping over the last few years.

Should finish up 3 projects this year. Others are standard 16:9.

2 Likes

Actually, that could be a really fun daily challenge. On January 1st, you start with 32x32 pixel art, and as you go, the resolution increases. You have to put more detail into your artwork to keep up with the resolution. By the end of the month, your render has to be in 4k. And the last few weeks could feature some unusual aspect ratios.

1 Like

Last year I finally bumped up the resolution of my work permanently (with all newer and enhanced images at 1500x1500 rather than 1000x1000). The reason this is possible is OpenPGL with OIDN and adaptive sampling.

Even then, I am now getting some very clean images before denoising because of how much better Cycles samples now, the only thing is higher resolution rendering requires a detail bump in everything else in the scene (which means my 32 gigs of RAM will start to feel limiting).

I am hoping to do a full system upgrade from my Ryzen 2700X and GTX 1060 6GB this year and retire this now 5-year-old system (with all of the specs. seeing a bump). It has been a reliable workhorse at least with no parts breaking down or needing replacement, and as I mentioned it does help when optimizations in your software allow you to stretch your hardware further than you originally thought you would.

1 Like

I still do wonder whether this topic has double entendre or not.

2 Likes

I’l show you double entendre: planning to get an OLED 49 inch Dual QHD: 5,120 x 1,440 pixels @ 240Hz screen to replace the old 27" screens.

Go big, I say. Life is too short.

1 Like

5112 x 1440 ultra-widescreen! Absolutely love that extra screenspace. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Happy New Year, all :sunglasses:

Maybe I’m not normal but this really isn’t normal so this year we really have to make a good normal :grimacing:

1 Like

Happy New year!

One of my New Year’s resolutions this year is to do more traveling than I have been, and to stop just watching travel videos and looking at photos online! I really want to start making memories of my own in new places. Lately I’ve been getting major wanderlust, especially after watching Crazy Rich Asians a few times over the holidays. Singapore just looks so gorgeous and culturally rich as also read this blog https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-singapore-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5549

I’ve been saving up my vacation time at work, and was looking at possible dates to go later this year.

I’m trying not to get too ahead of myself since it’s still early in the year. But I’m truly hoping 2024 will be about making travel dreams a reality rather than just an Instagram scroll.