When Gimp meets Blender

Hey…that was a lot better! The Gimp’s ui would improve with those changes.

That would be like a wet dream coming true. :eek:

Nice update to the Gimp UI zenith! Keep up the fine work! :cool:

gowddimmit! I’ve had that idea for ages!!! even posted a butugly image of it somewhere and send the scrolling idea to the gimp developer list and all.

I would also add the option to rotate the image (like rolling the camera in blender, not the object you’re looking at) and was told that open canvas does that all that allready.
And it does, it just doesn’t seem so very convenient otherwise…

gimp would also benefit from smaller menus in which you could choose options, hidden udner hotkeys imo.

You can customize Gimp ui quite nicely even now, this is what my Gimp looks like:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3913/200709181138251280x1024et3.jpg
Tool settings, layers, brushes are in tabs, best thing is that canvas has lots of space from screen and tools are still easily accessible.

(This really has nothing to do with thread, but I hate to see people complaining about Gimp ui :slight_smile: )

@Jurgen: not bad! heres mine! :wink:

http://i3.tinypic.com/4pv4ntg_th

Reading Words verticaly is painfull and thank god Adobe changed the menues. Flying windows are even more painfull.
Juergen- my favorite, but the color-scheme is awful. white / grey contrast is to strong

Jurgen and Felix_Kütt how did you manage to make gimp UI only one window?

well the sad thing is, its not one window, or you mean one ‘window’ in the sense of the task bar? thats so with 2.3 :slight_smile: but its actually one task ‘tab’ per image… thats not a problem(for me anyway) though :slight_smile:

i dont mind the interface as much (i don’t like the theme) i just wish they would combine the skew/rotate/scale into a “freetransform like” tool/buttons feature. That way if I am distorting an image i can also rotate it a little without pressing any other hotkeys or pressing any other buttons… i mean thats a lot of work :0

Yep, its not just one window, there is main window (tools), dock on the right and image window, I hide titlebars just for extra effect. :slight_smile:

Theme is not very good, but I wanted something dark.

Why are the texts/fonts so large? Is this an open source thing? Look at this.

I guess it’s gnome and usability thing, default fonts are large, but you can always change them.
Here is my gimp again with small icons, lighter theme, small fonts and ugly picture. :slight_smile:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4594/200709220018471280x1024wo2.jpg

Has anyone considered using a more gimp like interface for texture painting in blender. That would spare you from constantly having to save, load, lower window, edit save load, lower window…

And it would also be freaking cool:cool:

Hey guys,
the mock-ups are really great but I don’t understand why they (both) are in the 4:3 ratio. Don’t most ppl now use wide screen monitors in which case the layout you propose would not be ideal?

just wondering :slight_smile:

i do not use wide screen, besides i dont think that really matters in the case of mock-ups :stuck_out_tongue:

Ropsta: I think they didn’t even work with Gimp, theirs arguments about multi-windows are irrelevants. Also, some mockup are really simplistic and not even well analyzed.
As you can see, just Windows users are complaining about that.
Wouldn’t be realistic to consider that Windows’s WM’s just sucking?

Well, let’s forgive about that, when you work in Gimp, i mean more than 10min :), do you really need to have 10 palettes/tools at the same time?
When you work with your software and are accustomed to it, don’t you ever use shortcut and a fullscreen mode? Cause you admitted to yourself quickly UI stuff, big widget, all these things are annoying and slowing down.

The Blender UI isn’t perfect too, it’s very frustrating to split well a view, it’s so hard to fall right on the border.
Also, often you still limited about layout choice. For me scrolling to reach a function is most annoying than to just invoke alt+back or to look to my taskbar.
And Blender is simply bad for dual-view - i mean to set it up - and not perferct in 4:3 screen. Then i should think it won’t suit for GIMP.

Anyway, i have to admit, there are some pop-up annoyances in Gimp but it’s useless to sacrify a whole great UI for such things.
There are things really more important in priority and justified.

Gimp has its own toolkit GTK, I dont think developers would strech their imagination so much, hehe

Hmm…

What I mean to say is… it would be cool to have a better functioning texture painting mode in blender. The current one is alright, but something like gimp/photoshop would be overkillicious. :cool: The texture paint mode that it.