When will Blender become the industry standard?

It’s not a blocker, plenty of houses have adopted Blender and extended it with Python

2 Likes

Python alone is not enough.
Also, please name a big studio with a big pipeline which integrate Blender other than Tangent.

1 Like

WOW!

Y’all are still bickering about this?

“When will Blender become the industry standard?”

Never. Get over it.

1 Like

It’s not enough for what ? also, the studio has to be big now ? any other filter you want to add lol ? Dozens of french studios have adopted Blender as part of their pipeline, a rather big one being ubisoft animation last year. Surely you’ve heard of them ? There’s also tnpzv, autour de minuit… most of these have heavily extended Blender to their needs and are contributing back

He didn’t say ‘impossible’ lol Just not likely. It is not the norm. Think of it in percentages. On the average studios have spent years modifying custom versions of these programs with very talented in house scripters / and programmers. They’re not just gonna abandon ship on decades of ingenuity. They will once and if it meets their needs.

For lack of a better analogy, its like someone hands you a big bowl of soup (That’s your task / project at hand) and to you yourself… the user. You have choices of how you want to devour that soup lol. Knife? fork? Straw? Spoon? Maybe just drink from the bowl. That’s what all this boils down too. How difficult do you want the experience to be. How well do you function with that 3d piece of software? They’re all tools in the toolbox but which one clicks with you the best, and the masses? That’s what it is about. It’s getting there but… it isn’t the norm yet. If it was we’d be hearing about it on a GRAND scale.

Tell that to the companies that use a Linux based OS, IDEs and compilers/interpreters on their workstations and servers, not an insignificant amount especially amongst AAA-studios. The GPL is directly attributable the rapid growth of Blender, since asking the public to pay to free the original source code and has gifted you with a multi purposed and powerful content creation suite at no cost…

GPL requirements only become an issue if you want to publish/release your code to the general public, not for the integration/pipeline code for internal in-house usage.

4 Likes

This is very much depending on the department you’re in. There are plenty of modelers at Weta/ILM/Fstore etc. using Blender, the only time you got to use maya/zeno is when you publish something.

If you’re a badass modeler I don’t think a company would really care where you make the model, as long as the handoff file fit’s into their pipeline.

5 Likes

Ding! Ding!
The OPs tired argument is even older than 3D; it can still be found in the cinematography forums around the web. “What camera is the industry standard or will get me work?” And the senior DPs will always reply, “it doesn’t matter, just go shoot.”
If Tarantino said his next film was going to be shot only on GoPros, producers will still be throwing boat loads of money at him.
If you’re truly a great artist, which happens to be a Blender Ninja then your portfolio is going to land you your next job.

Just like your showreel in the cinematography world.

3 Likes

Using GPL licensed program and basing your pipeline around GPL code is totally different. It doesn’t matter what you think. Big studios simply don’t want to take any risk.

Sorry. That seems UBI game studio.

BTW, Ubisoft animation decided to released their code. But, most studio never would do that.

I got to second that. I was pushing for the use of Blender in the pipeline at some of the bigger studios and the most sturdy wall I was running into were the concerns regarding the GPL license.

Since there are some workarounds with wrappers and whatnot I’d suggest making a highly visible FAQ section on the blender.org site to explain what can and what can’t be done, preferably using practical examples. If it’s left up to the legal folks at large companies they will always suggest to “rather not getting involved” to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Exactly.

We do use Blender for certain very specialized tasks in the big studio I work at but it will never replace maya in our pipeline or any other big studio pipeline.

Threads like this crack me up because almost always they are created by fanboys who never worked in the industry in any capacity but have big pipe dreams of Blender becoming the only software and big bad autodesk is defeated. Reality is nobody gives a shit. There is no “industry standard” , We all use every software under the sun to get our shots done. We have over a thousand custom in house tools written for Maya, the maya we use is not the maya you buy from Autodesk. Nobody is going to replace that with Blender for any reason nor spend the time to write all those for blender.

Instead of worrying about whether Blender will become the industry standard worry about becoming a better and more efficient artist. Learn as many different softwares as you can and make yourself marketable.

11 Likes

Very much this. :point_up:

1 Like

which industry?

1 Like

This…

2 Likes

I can speak mostly from a VFX point of view.

I agree. I think a lot of the comments tend to most often be trying to compare Blender directly with Maya. I guess because many here are focusing in almost exclusively on large scale animation and VFX production. But of course they are very different apps with their own characters history’s goals and development paths.

Above all though I think this was of course a mischief making post designed to make some noise. A rock thrown anonymously from hidden in the bushes into a sleepy duck pond.

I think it’s not necessarily about wanting Blender to take over ( the industry. ) More often it feels like, the grass must always be greener somewhere else type of thing. App X is used in all these big productions by places like Weta and ILM therefore we must be loosing out with Blender. Then lots of pilling in with this or that isn’t fast enough or polished enough, the developers, and or Foundation having wrong priority’s and this is why the ( … pros … ) don’t want to use Blender etc. etc. etc.

There so often appears to be on these threads a very big misunderstanding of how studio productions actually work and of how most of these industry software applications are used and integrated in bigger pipelines and also the wider history of these sorts of modern mid to large scale CGI productions. Nor does there often appear to be much or any broader practical knowledge and experience of using any of these other apps professionally in real production workflows. So we can so often see misconceptions building endlessly on misconceptions.

That at least is how a lot of these comments very often read to me. There was a lot of it on the Tangent post which I more more wisely choose to stay out of.

From my perspective at least It’s surely more positive and beneficial on a forum like this to be focusing on how Blender can be better at being Blender. And of course focusing on creative work and projects. Rather than arguing endlessly in circles about is Blender industry standard or not. Whatever that even means of course.

1 Like

twenty seven

4 Likes

Ironically this part of the industry is a very small niche in the single digit percentage of the whole.
On the other hand it is THE most prestigious and most visible niche in the whole 3D world.
If “normal” people think about 3D, they don’t necessarily think about the architecture or engineering industry, they think about expensive movies/series or maybe advertising, closely followed by the gaming industry.
It is therefore understandable from an psychological perspective that fanboys choose to attack this part of the industry with immature fantasies about how Blender will take it (completely) over.
It has nothing to do with practicality since these people don’t have experience on the ground, they attack it because of the prestigious image.
It is an futile because unrealistic power fantasy.

I’ve heard this argument a ton of times and I have serious doubts.
If it is that easy like in your example than it might work out, but If you are a great Blender artists and you are in competition with other equally great artists that have extensive knowledge of proprietary tools, then you might still loose in that competition.
Software training might be trivial compared to Artists training, but its not entirely irrelevant and every little bit of advantage you have over your competitors might make the difference in job acquirement.
I would always advice to increase your comfort zone constantly by learning either new disciplines or other tools in order to make your work more effective and efficient or by spreading your knowledge over more disciplines. Either go wide or deep, the important thing is to not stand still.

This is always a great advice, but fanboys are fanboys because they have to compensate for something, often a lack of artistic ability.
If they had the artistic ability, they wouldn’t care so much about these tribalistic disputes in service of
image / projection / compensation.

4 Likes