When will Blender become the industry standard?

We should ask Ton, that’s the sorta thing you gotta know when you’re k… I mean, bdfl

Ok … So lets be more specific. Industry standard at what ? Which industry ? And in what role ?

What are your thoughts on the Modo’s modelling tools?

1 Like

Modo is actually pretty cool, it has some really neat things to help with the modelling process. Where as I find 3DS clunky but with some amazing modifiers, Modo you can see the designers tried really hard to appease modellers. Like you can tell they communicate with modellers and try to add useful features for situtations you’ll actually run in to. Mesh fusion is pretty rad as well, very strong if you know what you’re doing with it (I know enough to get by with it, but my Maya to zbrush knowledge is so much further that it doesn’t warrant me to pick up Modo)

If I didn’t know what I know in Zbrush I suspect I’d be a modo freak right now. Cause it offers a lot for a rather affordable package. Think last I checked it’s like 50 CAD a month or something for an indie package?Or something like that. Anyways yeah Modo is really cool. Not to mention you have a bevel shader if you’re doing straight hard surface (not Vitaly free form hard surface, that’s better served by doing SUBD)

But Mesh Fusion is a really nice touch. the other thing I am not a fan of for it though is instead of using standardized modelling terms for standard operations like extruding and beveling and stuff they gave the operations weird pointless names that… although make sense to them… to any modeller coming from any package to it will be left scratching their head. So that’s a bit to wrap your head around but all in all. Pretty sweet. I use zbrush sort of as my ‘advanced’ suite after block outs or if it can’t be easily SUBDed in Maya. Complicated shape? No problem block it out do the majority of it or most of it, then off to zbrush for the final touches with creasing and or Dynamesh for sculpting to nail the shape. Becomes this neat little dance between the two 3d packages with your meshes. But saves you a butt ton of time.

edit: and most importantly at least their gizmo isn’t straight up dumb as hell like I find 3DS’s to be.

1 Like

I suggest you to read the hundred messages that happened since OP :wink:

1 Like

I’m new to Modo but I have memorized a lot of Blender shortcuts. Is it possible to adjust whatever Modo shortcut to my liking? For example they have the shortcut E for Rotate. I prefer that to be R for Rotate etc

I believe so yeah. That’s one of the things about modo is you can bind like any action in there to a key. Similar to blender on that front for sure.

1 Like

Why such a question ?
To be honest, I’ve been waiting for that moment some year ago …
In the VFX industry the future is houdini, in animation it’s blender
Maya is just the past, people stick to it because of legacy pipeline stuff
Blender is already a standard !

3 Likes

Don’t write off Max yet, I bet you have no idea how big of a role it still plays.

nope, you still need to wait some years and even then, nothing is granted, everything is possible (or impossible).
Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched.
As long as Blender can’t do High End stuff if won’t even get a chance to get properly evaluated for that role by parts of the industry.
And the BF hasn’t even started working on animation workflow - where do you get your optimism from?

Then what is the present?
Name me a software that can play back animations with 120 fps on that rig I build recently and I am willing to listen to your argument.
Blender certainly can’t get faster than 12 fps, same with C4d and Modo, idk about Max (probably a lot better) but all of these lack the tools to get on the same level as Maya.
The only software that has the performance and is potentially closest of that goal of getting dangerous to Maya is Houdini, but even it needs a lot of work and a couple of releases (years effectively).
Saying stuff like “…” is the future is meaningless fluffy shit - at best an expression of optimistic hope, at worst unfounded hype.
What use is it if i need something right NOW?
I frankly can’t hear this expression anymore, I’ve been burnt to many times - the only response I am able to give is a cynical laughter.
Also what is with the senseless Maya bashing in the Blender community? I can understand if people don’t like to use it, or if they hate on Autodesk, but implying that Maya’s role in animation and media is over is a sure sign of ignorance of these industries.
If people can easily switch from Maya to another software then they probably never truly needed it in the first place.

5 Likes

Yeah well said man. I mean, first I would point out none of us are here to bash someone… but like… credibility is a big thing on any stage. Even if you hate paying for software it doesn’t change that they are widely installed and applied around the worlds top companies who are doing it NOW as you said.

Blender is getting there, and the new upgrades to it are promising sure… But it is far from taking the head piece. Blender shits the bed on most mesh data editing things in regards to high end stuff because of the way it is coded. They’re working on it in other threads you can read about it. It is a hot topic. But please, if you don’t actually know from experience… don’t go bashing and spouting non-sense. If you’re modelling nothing more than spherical shapes and egg people runnin’ around and cubes and trapezoids and all those lovely 6 grade shapes, or using box cutter and just booleaning your way to victory using clever smoothing group / normal patches to hide topology… sure Blender is great at it.

But that’s where… the line stops and there are other programs that have been in development for decades. They have the experience, and the deep ass pockets. People use it for a reason. Anyways, not to gloom the room or anything. BF is up to some good stuff, and I hope it really does give everyone a run for their money eventually.

Hell, I use blender as a touch up suite for my models. It’s gaining traction for sure.

Just to note; The Blender devs. are finally fixing the major performance issues in editmode and OpenSubDiv (3.0 alpha is already far faster with selection and with general vertex pushing). Animation with subsurf enabled will be viable again in the next release.

Meanwhile, we have the major speedups in Cycles going in next week, and there are patches that bring highly noticeable performance improvements to Mantaflow. The massive performance leap for Dyntopo may not make it into 3.0 due to the sheer complexity of making it work well with the newer brush types (so perhaps somewhere in 3.x), but work is ongoing and active.

While it won’t suddenly allow us to create scenes at the scale seen in film, it will be enough to make 2.80 look like a simple hobby app. that you only use when you can’t afford something better.

3 Likes

For sure. I tried the opensubdiv enhancements thus far from the branch, its definitely better. But still chokes a lot. Yoink a medium to high end asset, between 20k to 40k tris. Try adding edge loop and then slide it to adjust an edge while SUBD, to focus the edge width with your support loop. It chops all over the place. Kevin the dude who is coding for it, said if it involves data mesh editing, that’s nothing that opensubd is gonna magically fix.

So the way Blender handles it’s data mesh editing, needs to be either re-invented, or dramatically changed from how it functions now.

For hardware ref: Running a brand new 5800x 32Gb’s 3000mhz ram, RTX 3070 which is my work rig. SSD’s of course.

Yup,

That’s why Weta Digital is sticking to both, and decided to share their pipeline tools with the world.
Because both apps are obsolete…

Again, don’t be a fanboy. It just makes you sound like an uninformed person or troll :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

@Toka, there seems to be an agreement, that defining what industry standard means is not necessary.

Indeed and this was my point of the dog chasing it’s tail meme. There have been so many posts in the past like this and they tend to attract a lot of comments and also often arguments, but simply go around in endless circles because the question is so broad and actually quite vague.

Industry standard ? Which industry ? Arcitectural or industrial design ? VFX production in film and TV ? Animation production ? Real time and video game production ? 3D print ? Archaeological and historical visualisation ?

And which role and with what features ? And for who ? Individual freelancers or companys ? Small or large teams ? Small or large studios and workshops ?

And also why is the question being asked ? For what purpose. Does this question directly relate to an experience of using Blender recently in production in one of these industry’s and finding a feature that needs improvement ?

There have been some very interesting personal anecdotes and individulal practical experiances shared which is great. But overall these sorts of questions are so broad they just always lead to an endless circular discussion about anything and everything. But it attracts a lot of comments for sure. Now I feel like the dog chasing around :slight_smile:

All the best to everyone.

2 Likes

To me “Industry Standard” refers to the Studio VFX houses like WETA, The Mill, Method, Pixar, ILM, Framestore, D-Neg, etc.

Archviz, historical, corporate, etc are more niche fields that have their validity but are not what I would understand the “Industry Standard” reference to imply.

Lastly there is also the Gaming Industry, and I suppose for some that would qualify as “The Industry” but I tend to think as that industry as not quite “standardized” as much since each gaming studio tends to have more variety in their toolsets. As some have pointed out, Blender tends to have a stronger footprint in the gaming industry where polygon efficiency is still paramount and physics sims or massive scale environments aren’t subject to the type of scrutiny that a Marvel film would have.

That’s sort of the issue. That looks reasonable, but it differs from the definition of others who might disagree on the gaming studio part or anything else. Even if you agree in the discussion, you might ultimately be talking about something else. Discussions only make sense if people are not talking past each other. It is necessary to use the same terminology, with the same meaning to the point that is needed in the discussion. (And to make it clear: It doesn’t mean one has to first sort out some universally valid definitions. For a discussions like this one, it is totally sufficient to have a common definition that makes sense for this purpose. Preferably the one from the original poster.)

I think fundamentally the only sensible point of this entire conversation is – if you’re a Blender ace ninja, what are your employment opportunities?

If you’re looking for employment at a large VFX studio like Pixar or ILM then the answer is: quite limited unfortunately. While undoubtedly these larger entities are starting to expand their toolsets, the number of employment positions available at any given time that require Blender experience are going to be considerably smaller than those which require Maya or Houdini knowledge.

If you’re looking for employment at a small boutique VFX shop, then the answer varies quite a lot; but in that case “industry standard” really doesn’t matter, does it?

One thing that we can all agree is that the OP doesn’t really care all that much. He’s been incredibly uninvolved in this entire thread and I get the feeling that he’s not even working professionally in the VFX world.

1 Like

aren’t those bad examples because they use a lot of inhouse software? it doesn’t matter what software you know when you will have to be trained for their inhouse software anyways. (i know they also use maya and houdini but still…)

The main blocker for Blender being integrated to a big pipeline is the lack of proper SDK and GNU-GPL.

No sane company will try to folk Blender for their pipeline. You need a clear and stable dev environment to add your stuff.

Even then, no one would want to contaminate their code base with any GNU-GPL code.