Where did the Musgrave texture go in the shader editor, blender 4.1.0?

Just installed blender4.1.0 Alpha.
I was about to mess around with the shader editor, and I couldn´t find the musgrave texture anymore.

Blenders fractals are already severly poor, so there is no need to make that worse you know. :grimacing:

Otherwise, first time testing the compositor, and almost realtime feedback while tweaking, glare, sunbeam, blur, alpha over node adjustments…so that is sweet directly in cycles viewport…

It has been merged with Noise texture.
https://developer.blender.org/docs/release_notes/4.1/rendering/#musgrave-texture

1 Like

I thought I checked that, seems you may be right, it is now there, but…
The dimension parameters for the various types in that noise texture which previously was the musgrave texture, is gone.

That’s correct. The screenshot in the link shows how to get that functionality via additional nodes.

Cycles4.1_musgrave_roughness_conversion

1 Like

thanks, but seriously, having 4 nodes replacing a single inbuilt parameter, not sure how they was thinking designing this, seems they must have just missed something and not intentionally designing it with the need for the additional node workaround.

that said so I do not sound too un thankful, thanks for your insight and heads up on it.
Sure you may actually get some additional control, but not many would even think of this setup but rather go, where did it go.

2 Likes

You do not need those nodes, you can foget them, they are just a reference of how the math used to work, also they will not be correct for all types of musgrave options (hetroterain etc).

You can achieve all the same patterns as before just the new sliders but their relationship is different, it is better to get used to the new behavior.

Thanks for the tip, though I do not see how the dimension parameters can be adjusted without that parameter, it would emply that roughness and distortion…which are the new ones should have anythingto do with it, or that lacunarity, detail and scale now is working differently?

But I have to test run it, I got caught up with other things.

thanks guys for enlighting me with what seemed to have changed.

for blender 4.1 since many versions ago back still though, they haven´t managed to get one of the more important fractals in to the shader editor, namely the cloud fractal that only exist for displacement or fluid texture map…maybe I need to suggest that more strongly somewhere than I previously have.

With the roughness parameter (in conjunction with the lunacity) the old musgrave node did not have a roughness parameter (nor did it have distention, or a colour output)

The new version has more possibilities than the old one. Rule of thumb is uncheck normalize for musgrave and play around.

The paremeters work in the same way as the new Voronoi and noise texture

Scale

Scale of the noise.

Detail

Number of noise octaves. The fractional part of the input is multiplied by the magnitude of the highest octave. Higher number of octaves corresponds to a higher evaluation time.

“This means steps of variation.”

Roughness

Blend between a smoother noise pattern, and rougher with sharper peaks.

“Roughnes/smoothness of the pattern. (like a blur)”

Lacunarity

The difference between the scale of each two consecutive octaves. Larger values corresponds to larger scale for higher octaves.

“Scaling of the steps.”

I find this much more intuitive than the old Musgrave parameters (the dimension parameter was also effecting the lunacity) it is now more straight forward. Also you will find it is the the same behavior as noise and voronoi.

(not everyone agrees with me)

2 Likes

Nothing was missed; the change was fully understood, and discussed extensively.

So - it’s either a) use these extra nodes, if you wish to work with exactly the values and relationships of the old Musgrave or b) don’t use these nodes at all, and change the values in the new noise node until you get something you like.

1 Like