Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Little selfportrait I made last year, to post on Linkedin and Facebook to inform people I am looking for a job.

42 Likes

That’s very nice, and it looks much better than a CV! There’s a real emotion in this, I love it!
The title is cool too

Thanks! I wanted to make something with “share-ability” factor, so many people would see it. I ended up getting multiple job offers after it got shared a lot. People really connected with the character.
The title is a a wee bit dramatic, but it was mostly a wink to those typical questions you get in job interviews :smile:

Yes, indeed, well done with the wink - don’t we all hate this question? Taking a humorous approach to it seem like the right thing to do for things to change eventually!

I’m triggered by your concept of “share-ability”, would you mind elaborating on that? What are the key aspects that makes a piece “share-able” in your view?

Sharability is a big word. Like, i don’t think anyone really knows what will be a hit, or not.

But I wanted to make a post on Linkedin that people would look at for longer than half a second. I figured just a text post wouldnt be very engaging and that most people would scroll past it. So I decided to make an image to go with it. Because I had been job hunting for months, so my keyword was “desperation”. My artwork is basically a cry for help. I guess that evoked quite some emotion in people, because a lot of people told me they related, or that they would help look for me. It even ended up being one of the top-posts on the r/Blender Reddit :sweat_smile:

So i’d say, to make something sharable, it has to either evoke emotion (sympathy in this case), or it should be relatable. If you manage to hit both emotion and sharabilty, that’s jackpot material haha. But then again, there’s also always luck, and the algorithm of social media having to work in your favor.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this, it’s very insightful. I think this piece really got a bit of your soul in it, and that hit people. :heart:

Those hands are epic!
In 5 years I see my self on a sunny beach wonderingwhy Blender still don’t have Full caustic. :grinning:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

Nice! Thank you

1 Like

“A shoe box? We used to dream about living in a shoe box!”

(Sorry, I couldn’t avoid making the Monty Python reference :smiley: )

Really nice render, I liked the character and its toy-like appearance.

1 Like

Very simple art but that character is just full of emotions!!

1 Like

I remember this and I’m glad to hear you got offers off the back of it. It’s a well made peice and tells a story that clearly struck a chord. Well done!

Just to add to the response to the question “What are the key aspects that makes a piece share-able” - I’m actually currently reading a pretty decent book on this very topic called “Contagious” by Jonah Berger. Worth a read :slight_smile:

1 Like