Where is Node Editor in the Latest Builds?

I like living on the edge, so I normally open Gitkrakren every day and pull down the latest changes on the Blender2.8 branch and compile it on my iMac. It works quite well, and seems to do better for me than the precompiled builds on the developer site.

For the past week or so, there has been one part conspicuous part missing from these builds, and that is the node editor. I search everywhere, and I cannot find it anywhere. I have searched the various forums about this, and have not found anything.

Has the node editor been removed, perhaps to make room for the new “everything nodes” that Pablo talks about in his videos? Or has it been moved into another window and I can’t see it?

This is actually driving me nuts! :rofl:

I think it is called the Shader Editor now.

7 Likes

yes, it is called shader editor in blender 2.8

3 Likes

Yes, that is it! And I must say that the new shader editor is actually beautiful.

I am just amazed at how all the UI changes are making it SO MUCH easier to work with!

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

It has been split into multiple editors: Shader editor, Compositing, and Texture editor. It’s to make the other types of nodes easier to discover.

I just hope they either add editor nesting, or add buttons to each node editor that let you change between each type.

What changed ? I downloaded last night’s build and it looks exactly the same to me ?

Nothing changed since yesterday regarding this; I just did not know that the node editor had been moved to several other places until yesterday. Now that I found its new home with the help of @qomolangma888 and @zanzio, I am loving its new look and feel. :heart_eyes:

Although I must admit that I am missing the ability to use the animation nodes addon. :grin:

1 Like

Hello, where is the node-editor where node-based addons lived? (I.ex: Animation Nodes, Sverschok, etc)?

It has been separated into multiple editors (shader editor, compositing, and texture editor).

Thanks a lot for your reply! I was just told that, when you create an addon that creates a new node tree, another editor is created on the fly for it, so animation nodes, svershock, etc, they’re all covered! \o Hehehe… relief Thanks anyways!

geometry data has changed in shader editor , I cant find some properties such like light data ,vertex color and so on

Yes. You are talking about Blender Internal nodes.
Blender Internal renderer was removed and replaced by EEVEE that is using Cycles nodes.

So, Geometry node for EEVEE is same as Geometry node from Cycles.
Most of sockets from Blender Internal’s geometry node are in EEVEE/Cycles Texture Coodinate node.
Vertex Color has to be precised by using an attribute node.
For UVs , there is a UVmap node.

About Lamp data node, lights have a different behavior. So, there is no such node.
But take a look to EEVEE’s shader to RGB node.

now, the node editor is renamed to shader editor.