Which license for small scripts ?

Hello,

Which license should be used to develop small scripts for Blender?

I downloaded the code to find Blender’s license and I found 2 licenses in the directory doc/license/* : GNU GPL License and Blender License. I think that Blender uses at present the GNU GPL License but Im not sure… Could you confirm this ?

Second problem: GNU GPL2 and GNU GPL3 are not compatibles with each other. I’ve seen that Blender uses the GNU GPL version 2 (right?).
Does that mean I can not use GNU GPL3 at present ? I’ve read the version 3 is beter…
Can I use a double license: GNU GPL2 + GNU GPL3 or this does not make sense ?

Thank you.

Yep, blender uses GPLv2.

You can use any licence you want for your own scripts really, just depends on how ‘free’ you want them.

On the GPLv2+ thing, many projects use a “or any later version” clause to allow for upgrading the license when the FSF releases a new one – not blender though.

In this link http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.en.html I’ve read:
" When we say that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible, it means there is no legal way to combine code under GPLv2 with code under GPLv3 in a single program. This is because both GPLv2 and GPLv3 are copyleft licenses: each of them says, “If you include code under this license in a larger program, the larger program must be under this license too.” "
But farther:
" Fortunately, license incompatibility matters only when you want to link, merge or combine code from two different programs into a single program. There is no problem in having GPLv3-covered and GPLv2-covered programs side by side in an operating system. "

Then if I understand correctly this, that means I can use GNU GPLv3 for a script in Blender because this script is more an addon than a real part of Blender, isn’t ?
Scripts and addons are they a part of Blender or not ? That is an interesting question.
What do you think about that ?

http://www.blender.org/education-help/faq/gpl-for-artists/#c2129

Attachments

Thank you.
It is exactly what I was looking for.