Which processor is best for Blender (Intel or AMD)

i plan to upgrade my system to

Intel DH67CL B3 revision Motherboard.
Intel i5 2400 Processor
4GB Ram

is that configuration is enough for high poly models,animation, video editing, etc. and also i record my screen for tutorials.

But the dealer suggest me AMD is best, my friends Suggest Intel is best.
iam confused about to configure my system.

Please tell which processor is best.

intel makes good processors.
also you might need a high end gpu also with latest os.
bye

Intel and AMD are both good, but if you’re into the high end sort of stuff, I’d recommend going with what your friends say. I use AMD, with a quad-core processor and 4gb of ram, and Blender runs great. But if you need a little bit extra oomph (ha!) of computer power, use Intel.

If you’re after performance above else (and you’ve plenty of money) then Intel processors are the way to go. At least, in general - there are several different families available and you need to be careful which you choose.

Intel Core 2 CPUs are still available, for instance, but they’ve been around for a long time, no longer represent a good deal and unless you’re working with an old motherboard, are probably best avoided.

Instead you’ll be considering a Core i3, Core i5 or Core i7 processor, which will deliver budget, mid-range or high-end performance, respectively. Except, of course, it’s not quite as simple as that, because these CPUs now come in two main flavours.
The mainstream Core i3, i5 and i7 processors are available in a Socket LGA1156 package (this defines how the CPU connects to the rest of your system, and so means you’ll need a Socket LGA1156 motherboard as well). This doesn’t represent the very latest in Intel technology, but it’s relatively reasonably priced, and there are plenty of compatible motherboards around at all price levels.

The latest Core i3/ i5/ i7 processors, code-named Sandy Bridge and available in an LGA1155 package, are rather more interesting. Not only are they up to 40% faster than their predecessors, but they also come with an on-board graphics chip, so if you’re not looking for much in the way of video performance then you probably won’t have to buy a graphics card.

The CPUs and Socket LGA1175 boards you’ll need to run them are more expensive, but only marginally (they’re still available on sub-£1,000 PCs) so if you’re looking for a good mainstream Intel solution then these are the way to go.

There is a small complication, though. Intel recently identified a problem with the SATA controller in the Sandy Bridge chipset, and had to recall many motherboards. The issue is fixed now, but supplies of some boards may remain short until April, so you might have to shop around.

The other option available right now is to choose a Core i7 CPU in an LGA1366 package. This will allow you to run the very fastest 6-core Core i7 CPUs, which deliver great speeds and are very overclockable. They’re also hugely expensive, though, lack extras like on-board graphics chips, and aren’t actually that much faster than the high-end Sandy Bridge systems, so we’d recommend you avoid them in most situations.

AMD processors aren’t currently able to compete with Intel for raw speed, but that might be changing soon, and in the meantime they’re able to deliver capable performance at an excellent price. And AMD is also far better at backward compatibility than Intel, so there’s no confusion over socket types and multiple incompatible versions of the same CPU: buy an AM3 motherboard and it’ll run just about anything. :wink:

Make an informed decision when it comes to real estate investing - Wairarapa Real Estate

“It’s not what you have that counts … it’s what you do with it.” Get a good CPU, plenty of RAM, and make sure that “the whole schmeer,” chips and motherboard and graphics-card and all, can run for hours and days full-bore without overheating. Most consumer computers can’t actually do that; they’ll basically pop a piston if you try. Because computer designers know that people spend most of their time fuddling around on … y’know … forums. :slight_smile:

Intel hexacore: Fastest and extremely expensive.
Intel quadcore: Faster than AMD hexacore in everything and expensive.
AMD hexacore: Fast but no Hexacore, it´s 3*Dualcore patched together. Fast for raytracing.
AMD quadcore: Fast enought for most tasks and the average Blender user. Rather cheap.

If you intend to spend ~200 Euro for a CPU get a Intel Ci7-2500k
If you intend to spend ~150 Euro for a CPU get an AMD Phenom X6 1055T (fast for raytracing) or a Ci5-760 (much faster in games)

If you are buying everything from scratch, Intel nudges ahead on performance/price for a few choice CPUs but newer processors need new board, memory… everything. If you are upgrading from a recent AMD build, AMD is a better bet. If you are lucky, all you will need to do is pop in a new CPU, some more sticks of memory and you are good to go. Check out Tom’s Hardware or AnandTech for comparisons of CPUs and GPUs while you are at it. OpenGL problems that affect Blender exist for the Nvidia 400 and 500 consumer cards. Once you get the hang of these sites, a lot of information from practical real world tests is available and their suggestions are often spot on. I second the Core i7 2500k (if this the CPU with unlocked multipliers) which has received some good reviews. I am considering this chip, but the whole GPU thing has thrown me a bit off my stride. You need to be really careful about which Intel CPU you are buying as only a few of the chips in their large and confusing catalogue of products are worth the silicon they are printed on. You also need to make sure you actually got the chip you ordered and is not a similar but slighty older revison of the chip e.g. jumping to a higher fabbing resolution (80 to 65 nm/a tock not a tick).

if it helps i was in a similar boat recently when i came to build a new computer myself. the threads still on here if you want to take a look.

depending on the purpose of the computer will determine what you want to be putting in it.
intel cpus tend to be a tad more expensive but offer better performance (and more OC potential)
AMD cpus tend to be less expensive but are normally already OC’d to the speed you buy it at. (definitely used to be though someone can confirm whether its still the same.)

i went with the i72600k and im very pleased with it. runs natively at 3.4ghz (quad core with 8 threads total, have seen it overclocked to 4ghz with no issues, some people with proper cooling have got it higher than 4.5ghz), for me it was either that or the i7 970 (hex core with 12 threads apparently). from what i read and from benchmarks for them both and the price difference the 2600k was the winner.

I’d go for intel - once I had an AMD and it wouldn’t run one of the games I bought.

I’m an AMD fanboy yet even I have to admit the new Sandybridge Intel chips are fast and affordable.

To address kbot’s post, there is no reason for the AMD chip to prevent the game form running. More likely the system also used an ATI integrated graphics chip that couldn’t meet the required Direct X level.

i would second that, its like saying a computer with kingston ram wont run something that a system with corsair would. It would either be a problem with the graphics card, the system didnt meet the requirements or a software issue

The slowest part of your system that is being used will be the maximum speed. So even with an super awsome fast processor, if you have a slow motherboard or memory or anything like that… you will have a slow computer. Just some general advices, haven’t read all posts so if someone said it before…

AMD X6 1090T, 12/ 16GB RAM, AMD(ATI) GPU, Solid State drive = A very solid, and fast machine for a fraction of an Intel based machine.

That´s actually not true. (EDIT: See rectification in my next post :slight_smile: )
The 1090T curently is around 200 Euro.
The Ci7-2600k is currently around 200 Euro.

In Cinebench they perform almost similar (amd: 5.7, intel: 5.3) and we got hexacore against quadcore here, the Ci7 has much more OC potential, also is the intel ~15-20% faster for gaming/multimedia and consumes less power. That covers the 200 Euro segment.

Then there is a lot of crap and at 150 euro we got:
Ci5-760 and AMD x1055T. They perform pretty much the same in gaming and multimedia.
Cinebench: AMD 5.02, Intel: 3.75
Round clearly goes to AMD. It´s because the Ci5 have no hyperthreading.

Im thinking the same chip with 8gb of ram. :eyebrowlift:

I just saw that the 1090T even the BE(!) dropped to ~150 Euro.
So ignore my previous post. It´s a good choise ATM.
Also the 2600k raised to 230 euro.

Theis round goes to AMD.

Damn hardware. Staying tech savvy is a full time job. One week off the newsfeeds and you´ll be telling lies to everyone :smiley:

ah yes for $400 I can get hexacore/motherboard and 8GB of ram. This cant be said with Intel chips. Im OK with 5 second Blender Render Benchmark compared to 30 seconds on my current dual core Intel.

GIGGIDY GIGGIDY!

I just ordered myself

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Its just an upgrade but worth the money IMO:yes:

Just go with whoever has the latest release out at the time. So atm thats the intel sandy bridge, but if your not getting it right away the amd bulldozer looks real promising

Save your money on the CPU and get as much RAM as you can afford. It won’t matter how fast your CPU is when your computer starts swapping to disk.

I have a 3-year old computer here. An AMD dual core CPU @3.1 GHZ and I recently upgraded the RAM from 4 Gigs to 16 Gigs. The new RAM is even slower than the old RAM but the performance of the computer overall has increased tremendously. So much so that I now need to look into better cooling for the CPU. Scenes that were taking 7-8 minutes to render are now taking 2-3 minutes, and it’s all because my computer is no longer swapping due to running out of memory.

Right now, for rendering, your video card does not matter, but in the future (soon?) when renderers start employing OpenCL your video card will make much more difference. This computer still just has the integrated graphics that are on the motherboard and it runs just fine. I’m waiting to see which direction OpenCL goes before I upgrade my video. When I do upgrade I will go with the card that has the most onboard memory (perhaps they will be making 4Gig video cards when I finally upgrade!) since OpenCL has to rely on the memory that the video card has.

But really, RAM is key when it comes to Blender.