Which tablet is the best for sculpting

which tablet is the best for sculpting in blender? I was thinking to buy an XP-PEN tablet for sculpting…
but after some research, I realized that I can use iPad Pro or Samsung Galaxy Tab for sculpting, I think like, they’re more trusted, and also I can use the tablet for more purposes because they are not only a graphical tablet. and I like the Xiaomi pad 6 cuz it’s cheaper, but some people are saying that it is not good for sculpting… please… share your knowledge and thoughts :frowning::point_down::heart:

I have an XP-Pen Artist 13.3 display tablet and I like it. I’m not too happy with their Linux support, but that might be typical. I stopped using their drivers and instead use the open source drivers which work better (now I can use the quick keys, etc). I have used it with Blender, 3D-Coat, Substance Painter, Krita, and others. It just becomes another monitor on my desktop computer and I can run anything I want (as long as it runs on Linux :slight_smile: ).

I have no opinion on the other tablets (iPad Pro or Xiaomi pad) but I think it would depend on how well the applications you wish to run performs on them. Sculpting can put a lot of load on a system depending on how many polys you need, so you YMMV on the tablets.

If you are worried about cost, it’s hard to beat the cost of a display tablet compared to a full tablet with it’s own OS, etc. The 13.3 is small enough to be mobile, but it does feel cramped at times.

3 Likes

Very satisfied with the Huion H610Pro.

You can use Samsung Tablet as a display tablet. It is called second screen.

I have a wacom intuous pro, had xp pen display 13.3pro and I have an Ipad pro with m2 chip.

The xp pen was nice but I got so used to high refresh displays that I couldn’t stand 60hz. Also their pen feels odd with weight distribution and I didn’t like the positioning of the buttons on pen either (comparing to the wacom). I found myself using the tablet in combination with my large display often and since I have the wacom I decided to sell it.

The wacom I have for years, it’s great and I really don’t think it’s somehow inferior to having a display on tablet. Pen is superior to any other too.

The iPad pro is absolutely the best. I only have 11’ version but it’s really good size, 120hz refresh rate, pencil feels a bit too thin and not too ergonomic to some people but I really don’t mint. And apps like nomad sculpt or forger for modeling and sculpting are amazing.

If I need to do a lot of sculpting I can just go on my backyard or couch and relax while working, the performance of the ipad is truly insane. And when I’m at PC I use my wacom.

So I say get an iPad pro, it’s really best thing ever and then maybe get a cheap non-display tablet for PC. Do not buy android tablet, they are all very low performing compared to an iPad. Samsung does have an OLED display though and that is really great.

iPad can edit 4K videos in davinci resolve, can run Octane render, edit multimilion meshes with nomad sculpt. I run custom stable diffusion models LOCALLY on it!!! However we might be close to an m3 version release and so I would consider waiting to see what new stuff they can bring to the iPad.

cheap 30 dolla wacom is fine

Are you running blender in iPad?

I didn’t know this about ipad or samsung, the truth is that there is some sort of tiny lag (could you say that is about 50-100ms?).

This looks really impressive, but I am not sure exactly what are the side-effects here due to the lag. I mean that in a sense you get your own input events that you send perfect and you get proper results in the target application (no jagged lines, no breaking of cursor movement). However the problem is that with the signal you receive that lags behind, I don’t know exactly if this in the long run gives you some annoying feeling or not. Either way or another this is something that each person has to test for themselves and find out.

Note that if you use an iPad as it is with it’s native drawing and sculpting applications then is definitely a great choice for it’s intended purpose. Also the point is that you seek a multi-functional device (as a tablet) and then you use it for drawing and also have a good way to use it in compatibility with the PC, this is also a big win if you think of it this way.