Which tablet to buy

So I’ve pretty much always used a mouse for sculpting and texture painting, but I’d really like to get a proper tablet to get into it more seriously, and perhaps also more into drawing. The issue is that I can’t afford to get an expensive one, so Wacom is out entirely. The two I’m considering are both from XP-PEN. The Deco 03 and the Artist 12. My reasoning is as follows:

Artist 12 Pros:

• Has a screen
  • Is slightly larger

Cons:

• Is much more expensive
  • More cables to manage

Deco 03 Pros:

• Is cheaper
  • Is wireless
  • Has scroll wheel

Cons:

• Lacks screen

Right now the Deco 03 has the edge for me, although I’d love one with a screen. But I imagine I can get used to working without drawing directly on the model, after all, that’s how it is with a mouse. So what do you guys think? Does anyone have experience working with either of these tablets in Blender or Substance Painter?

Second answer on this today, curiously…
I have Deco 03, previous version. It’s acceptable for Blender.

My main worry before buying was the screen, too. Being used to paper I couldn’t figure myself not looking at what I was drawing. Then I discovered the opposite. It’s not a problem, more: it’s better. You stay with you back straight, which, after hours on, cannot do you any harm.

XP-pen have a combined cable, so cable management is not an issue with them. Basically it’s one cable end plugs into the tablet, the other end splits off into three cables (hdmi, and two USB, one for power, the other for data). I have an Artist 13.3 and like it a lot.

Jason

I have the XP-Pen Artist22E 22-Inch Display Graphic Monitor. And use it for all my 2d work. It is fantastic and the screen feels like paper. I have been using it for almost 2 years and not disappointed at all.

Large 22" screen. You get 2 pens, and it is so much more affordable than the Wacom. And I have used Wacom for 10 years.

I have heard that some people also find not having a screen to be an advantage because your hand doesn’t cover what you’re working on.

I’m leaning towards the Deco 03 and then upgrading to one with a screen when I’ve got more cash (and a bigger desk).