Whitetail Deer - Anim Update pg 4

Reminds me of the game deerhunter hehe

Anyway those ‘‘horns’’ seems to be to white and clear you could add a brown -white texture with some cracks in it some thing like this:http://www.valleycreekoutdoors.com/images/TP3.jp.

The legs at the back the upper things seems to be too thin if you if you check this image you will see what I mean: http://www.tiptoncabins.com/cove_images/deer1.jpg

No further comments keep on going it looks great!

Matt

Nice eyelashes.
Eye looked good, but now it looks even better.
The black area around the nose is good.
You got the ear texturing done nicely.
Texture on the nose is a plus, i am still wandering about
its shader, but now that i considered it again it has to do
with the lighting in the animation such as much as it has to do with the
shader.
Well modeled legs, legs were allmost done
in earlier versions, but without texture it seemed
that there was lot more modelling to do.

Thanks for informing about fresnel.

Thanks, everybody. The whole thing is uvmapped. This is my first UV mapped model, outside of the game engine(I only used UV mapping because I had to, and I used very simple texturing). But now I’ve grown to love UV mapping. Before I go on to adding RVKs and everything, does anybody see anything that I should change about the mesh itself?

Here’s a very random test to make sure the armature worked. This is NOT, I repeat, NOT the walk cycle I will use in the real movie. I just did this for no apparent reason.

Click here to watch Deer-Test

I have a question. I know this can be done, because I have seen it done. I think. Anyway, how do you change the endpoint for an armature. Wait, let me rephrase that? How do change the point that all other bones rotate around from the end to a point in the middle? Right now the armature rotates around the end point at the nose. I want the body to rotate around the base of the neck and the head to rotate around the base of the neck. That was one long explanation. I don’t even know if I got my point across. Well if you don’t understand what I am asking, tell me, and I’ll rephrase it. Thanks.

It rotates around the base of the Root Bone; the first bone added. It is at the top of the Parenting, Conected, Constraint heirarchy. I’ve never tried to do it but theoretically you could rearrange that heirarchy in the ‘Armature Bones’ tab in Edit mode.

%<

I tried it. It rearranged the order of the bone parenting, but it didn’t change the point that the bones rotated around, so I added another set of bones within the armature an started at the base of the neck and went up to the nose. I changed the bone names to their original names so the vertices would still be assigned to the bones that they were originally assigned to. So, in short, it works.

I’ve decided to start with the walk cycle and other armature animations to allow more time to spot mesh flaws before adding RVKs. If I don’t see anything or hear anything about the mesh from anybody else by the time I’m done animating the armature, I’ll go ahead and add them.

Here’s the first walk cycle test. I’ve spotted some problem areas already: the rump doesn’t move enough, the rear legs don’t move back far enough, and I think the stance of the rear legs is too wide. The head might bob a little too much, too. If you see anything else, please let me know.

Also, is there a way to transport keys of an action(i mean RVKs) from one action to another. Thanks.

Click here to watch Deer-Walk-Cycle

Here’s the second walk test:

Click here to watch Deer-Walk-Test3

I know the feet slide a little bit on the ground…ok…a lot. I’ll fix it later. By the way, are these links working? Can you see the video?

Also, I’ve been looking for NLA editor tutorials. I’ve found a few, but none of them tell me HOW to add an action. So…HOW do I add an action? Thanks.

The Link worked fine for me. Looks good, beyond the feet sliding I can’t see much of anything wrong with it. However, there is something wrong with the animation, I can’t quite put my finger on it, but maybe it has something to do with the head motion. But I may be wrong. Good job.

Me thinks I made the head motion too sharp. But forget about the NLA question. I’ll just stick with good old-fashioned actions for now.

The animation makes it appear that the legs are actually far too skinny. I would make them a bit wider.

I cannot see the videos of the whitetail walk cycles.
I did see the heads or tails animation though, liked it.

I can’t see the videos - my firewall blocks them! I’m sure they’re very good, but I can’t possibly tell! :frowning: Could you put them somewhere elsewhere? :smiley:

Hello,

Nice modeling! But I think the walkcycle is not ok.

I found an example of a movie on the internet with a walking deer

http://www.silvertip.net/footage/individual/go/charismatic_megafauna/46/deer-2

I am not an expert on walking, but I’ll just give you my 2 cents worth!

It seems to me that the deer only tries to lift one foot at the time. That is logical, because at this low speed it should keep its balance while walking. Like humans: if you walk slowly you use one foot on the floor, when you are running your speed allows for moments with NO feet on the floor.

The hind legs seem to be off too, the knee joint is actually next to the body, but in your animation it hardly moves. The way I see it, it lifts the hind legs using the hip and knee joints, while folding the heel to shorten the distance to the floor. Then it extends the whole leg/foot forwards quickly, so that it can lift the next leg. The foot looks like it is moving towards the floor along its own axis.

Note also that it is known that many animals have different ways of walking to adapt to different speeds. Think about the difference between walking and running of humans, but also a horse’s treads like slow walking and galloppe. (Sorry if the English terms are wrong…)

OK, too much rambling from my side, I hope this helped. Good luck!

Henk

Thanks, Henk. The deer in the video was a doe. Bucks have a heavier frame and build. This seems to make the bucks walk a little bit stiffer, where when a doe walks, her legs appear to be quivering, like the slightest wind would blow her over. In my animation I need to smooth the animation of the rear legs, but make it happen, quicky, more choppy(as you have said). With the front legs I think I need to bend it just above the hoof. I didn’t do it yet, so I don’t have a video to post.

[EDIT] I also need to move the shoulders back more when he steps.

Here is the updated movie. I’m testing out a new host.

http://thumbs.streetfire.net/33373915-226D-454F-A617-21229264C50F.jpgClick here to see Video

I still need to work on the sliding back feet, and I think I made the back right leg anticipate the motion too much. It needs to pause just a little less.

If the link doesn’t work, it’s still being optimized. I’m not sure what optimizition needs be done, or how long it will take. So, if it doesn’t work for you, odds are I’m in the middle of trying to find another host.

It says it’s corrupt. Does that still mean it’s being optimized?

No that means it’s corrupt :smiley:

I’m looking for a new one now.

Let’s try this one :

but I still like putfile, even though it doesn’t work for everybody:

Click here to watch deer-walk