Who is the most accessible 3d slicer program?

Well of course I hope that it will be also free. The reason why I want to ask is, is there any difference between slicer or it is somewhat the same? Especially for printing minis and stuff.
I saw a creator that used chitubox and wasn’t prepared when he had to create this web of support for their print. Well I am also a noob on 3d printing so I do not understand very well how things work.
Do I have to create support or separate the minis in many shapes and it won’t need to create support? IS there a software where I do not need to mind that kinda stuff?etc…

Thank you in advance

Cura is packed with features and has everything you could ever want or need, is easy to learn, is open source, has millions of users, many contributors, and is absolutely free. What more could you ask for…

When you say minis are you talking about Coopers?.. Skirts?..

2 Likes

I am pretty happy with the Prusa Slicer. I believe it is a fork of Slic3er which is open source:

1 Like

Okay. Both are wonderful. Cura is the most ubiquitous of them all.

1 Like

Note: I am not expert in 3D printing at all and it is just a hobby, so some things I say might be nonsense.

There are several ways.

• You can of course model your support yourself.
  • You can let the slicer create the support for you by either chosing a preset or by setting different kinds of parameters, such as overhang angle and things like that.
  • You can place primitives in the slicer to tell the slicer where it should calculate support and where not.

Well, the software is one thing. As mentioned above the slicer can calculate the supports for you. But it can be very tedious to get rid of the supports when the print is finished, so you want to have as little support as possible.
There are printers with multi heads which can print support in a different, water solvable material so you can simply wash off the supports with water.
However, if you are new to 3D printing it probably makes sense to learn how to use it before worrying about multi heads and supports and things like that. I’d just get one of the “beginners” printers and try it out. I bought a Prusa Mini a year or so ago and it was pretty easy to assemble start printing.

1 Like

Miniatures like for ttrpg (dnd, pathfinder etc…)
Thank you so much I am gonna check it out.

Thank you so much for this very detailed response.
And yes, I thought that 3d printing would be kinda straight forward but turns out that there is a lot of depth and all. It will take some time for me get the hang of it. But thanks to your reply I now have a better idea on how to approach it.

Bro, if you have not bought a printer yet, I would highly recommend an SLA printer, preferably a 4k mini monochrome one like the Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K. The details are effing astonishing on 4k SLA printers. Using UV resin is obviously a bigger pain in the ass than working with filaments, for sure, but FDM printers can’t hold a candle to SLA when we are talking about fine details. Do look into these before you pounce a printer, if you have not done so already.

1 Like

THank you soo much for the advice. I am gonna check it out. And well I am not yet well versed in 3d printing, it feels like resin seems like the best, I guess.

1 Like

Oh you better believe it. Lookee here:

2 Likes

I am totally sold

Cool! If not that Phrozen Mini 4k specifically, absolutely make sure it is monochrome, smaller, and 4k. Bigger SLA with 4k or even bigger printers with 8k will not yield as high a resolution per cm, which is the most important factor for your minis.

1 Like

Okay got it, thank you so much for this very detailed advice.

1 Like

Yeah, as soon as my kids are old enough that i can be more or less sure that they wont knock that thing over and drink the liquid im getting one of them as well.

3 Likes