Whoa!

A lot a freaky stuff flying around in space!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9815/imagefull.jpg

Source

I think I’ll download that image and use it as a new photoshop brush…

it’s an asteroid! you call that freaky? it’s like calling the moon freaky.

I’d rather say:'lot’s of nice stuff flying around in space, hope it doesn’t hit us

i think pixelmass meant the shape of the asteroid, hewi… it looks a bit like a face to me.

oh, wait, if you read the “Source” link under the pic, there some interesting info…thanks for the link and pic, pixelmass!

There was one time recently when a photo was snapped of a comet-like object that had some of the debris in the shape of an ‘X’ easily visible.

Pixel’s photo looks like a run of the mill asteroid to me.

Actually the Moon is pretty freaky. :yes: In the whole solar system do you know of any other planets with just one moon, and such a big one? Some have called the earth/moon a binary planet.

It’s been proven that the moon is in fact fake and it’s just NASA holding a big picture up in space on a satellite, true story.

Then I guess NASA has been around for quite a while. :smiley:

hmm, but how would they prevent it from coming out of orbit (due to the solar wind) or getting ripped to shreds? (due to all the junk that’s up there now)
the asteroid looks to be pretty run-of-the-mill.

I have been looking at the picture for extended period of time, but just as these 3D-cross-eyed images, I don’t see it. It is a beautiful picture though.

Most likely there will be hundreds and hundreds of other planets in this galaxy with moons most likely even bigger than ours, we just haven’t found them yet.

I very much liked the comment of NASA holding up a big picture of the moon, I had quite a laugh, and that is a nice way to start a Monday morning, thanks

and thanks to pixelmass, couse it is, in the end, a very nice picture of an interstellar phenomenon

regards

Not really. There are no other planes. Everything in the universe revolves around us. Its in the book, you should read it.

:slight_smile:

I guess, you mean “big”, relative to the planet it cycles?
Because one of the Moons around Jupiter is big enough to be a Planet on its own. If there was no Jupiter, that Moon most likely would be a Planet.

Also, the former planet Pluto and his second half which, if I recall correctly, is called Calypso (could easily be wrong^^) are much closer to each other in size.

you mean Pluto’s moon, right? no, it’s…darn, can’t remember…Charon? uh…yeah, that’s it, just looked it up…

hey, apparently Pluto has 3 MOONS! i did not know that… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto’s_natural_satellites

anyway, I love space stuff, and even if this is really a “run-of-the-mill” asteroid, it’s still amazing when you think about it, in a way :smiley: but I still see a kind-of face in the picture, like, a creepy face…a bit like something you’d find in the Bottom of the Well in Ocarina of Time (lol, there I go with zelda again… :p)

about Moon : Earth, it is true that, relative to the planet’s size, the Moon is much bigger than it’s outer-system counterparts - there’s a lot of reference to the size in the last two Foundation books (Asimov)…though I didn’t like them nearly as much as the original trilogy :slight_smile:

When you say it has 3 moons, does that include pluto itself? =)

Asano: Nope, see?http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Pluto_system_2006.jpg

Makes one appreciate the greater things out there, like space, and the things that fill space. Compared to what’s out there, our small problems like the neighbour’s greener garden seem like something not to worry about.

I thought they now call Pluto and Charon a binary planet since Charon is almost as big as Pluto itself and Pluto is now considered a dwarf planet anyway (considering that one other object they found in the rock belt Pluto is in that’s bigger than Pluto)

I know the belt name (Kluiper or something similar), I’m just not sure how to spell it.

yeah, the outer ring of asteroids…i think it’s called Kupier…let me look it up (whoever invented wikipedia should get a Nobel prize or something :p)

oh, it’s Kuiper : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuiper_belt

we musn’t forget to take care of our little planet though :slight_smile: but you’re right, kinda gives us…perspective? i don’t know, but I’ve always found it fascinating…

Ace Dragon: That’s why I said “former planet” :slight_smile:

It’s amazing to imagine that we might die any second because of another universe colliding with us…WOAH. That is my philosophy, I’m so tiny and meaningless there is nothing to fear…:stuck_out_tongue: