Why are proxies distorted using proxy fitting with MbLab 1.7.8 in Blender 2.93

I have created a character using MB-Lab 1.7.8 in Blender 2.93. I am trying to fit proxies to the human object but it doesn’t work as the picture below shows. First I applied any rotations/locations/scales to each and every object in the scene. I then set the origin to world origin just in case. However, whenever I try to fit the proxy on the characters body it gets distorted upwards and I fail to understand from where this distortion originates.

The image below shows the unfitted proxies as I’ve matched them to the shape of the character the way it should look when the proxies are fitted on the left - on the right you’ll see what actually happens when I fit the proxies. I have tried all tricks in the book (that I’m aware of) and I’ve followed whatever Youtube tutorials that could be found out there, yet I can’t get the proxies to fit as they should.

I’d be greatful if anybody could guide me as I’m eager to animate this character.

1 Like

Sir. This woman has 4 breasts now… I do not know if I should thank you for this… Or if I should be utterly abhorred…

1 Like

Do you have any helpful advice to offer me regarding my question?

Nope. But I’m having a few problems with this as well, so I’ll let you know if I find out how to fix it.
Whenever I’ve dealt with it in the past, I think the solution usually came down to the origin point o the mesh that I was trying to attach it to, or that was being attached. So maybe try fooling around with the origin point?

1 Like

I can’t help but I’m obsessed with the outcome :heart_eyes: so like balenciaga meets iris van herpen

I’m also obsessed by a solution to this but still I haven’t figured it out. Changing the origin is what I’ve already done but nothing changes. I really want—nay need—it to work as I’ve got an entire animation depending on this to work…

Try this add-on if you like it is base on MB lab add-on - CharMorph - character creation tool (MB-Lab based) - #27 by Upliner

Why do you need proxy fitting at all? Original cloth seems to be already perfectly fitted to the current character, not to the proxy base. Proxy fitting isn’t necessary in such cases.

If I don’t fit the proxy the body will move right through the clothing. I’ve tried this - for example the blouse will be static while the arm moves forward or backwards. I need to transfer the weights of the clothing to the body so the clothing sticks to the body whenever it moves. As far as I know the proxy fitting should be the easiest way to that. I’ve had severe problems with transferring the weights manually. :anguished: or is there an easier way?

This is my go-to video whenever someone has issues transferring weights. I’ve been using this technique to rig clothing and such for ages, and I find it’s the best method. It’s also super easy.

As long as the character is rigged well, then the clothing should follow nicely.

2 Likes

I’m sorry for my late reply - I’ve been working frantically to solve this and I’m happy to announce that I’ve finally made it.

Thank you for all your support - I ended up using a completely different approach for this.
This is how I solved it.

I learned from @Magnavis movie that clothes can be derived from the body base mesh by duplicating certain areas of it and modifying it to resemble clothes. Inspired by this I began exploring how to transfer data from the base mesh to existing objects.

First I made two duplicates of the feet from the body mesh–one for each shoe. I then removed all but one vertice from both duplicates and joined each shoe to each remaining vertice. This transferred all shape keys and modifers from each remaining vertice to each shoe. I then removed the remaining vertices as these were not needed anymore.

I then transferred weights from the body mesh to each shoe and–voila–the shoes were finally stuck to the body in the right place without distortion.

When it comes to the rest of the clothing I’ve decided to derive them from duplicates of the body mesh as described in @Magnavis video. At last everything seems to work as it was originally intended.

Again - thanks for all your support. In the end I managed to solve this by combining your suggested solutions with my own experiments. :slight_smile:

1 Like