Why Can I Not Render Quicktime?

In blender 2.56a, I can not set the output render to quicktime, it crashes blender the second I hit render, does anyone know whats up?

Um, can you try 2.56b? It might be a problem with a lot of things, what are your specs and do you have quicktime installed on your sytem, etc.

64 bit I guess and windows?

“The 64bit release of Blender for Windows is still in a development stage: it doesn’t support all possible features yet, like FFmpeg, OpenAL and Quicktime.”(from 2.4 download page, I guess it also applies to 2.5)

Is there Quicktime Player ( Free ) installed in you system?
if not then please install first then try. I have tried with 249b and its rendering in Mov without any problem.

I have the same problem. I’d like to know if you end up finding a solution. I have a 32bit Win7 laptop with Quicktime installed.

I have a Windows Vista, Quicktime is installed, and it is the 64 bit version of Blender 2.56a, and I didn’t think that there was a 2.56b out, is it only on Graphicall.org? Because I never get those versions.

Ok, what really is the benefit of using the 64-bit version over the 32-bit? I mean is it better speed? I never can understand the differance. ( I wish I got into computers earlier in my life, parents to thank for that)

I always render out as JPG or PNG and make a QT movie from that.
That way if Blender crash in frame 398 or 400 you only have to re-render the last 2 frames, but if rendered directly to a movie you need to re-render the whole 400 frames again.
Also if you need a good freeze frame from an animation for your video edit, it’s good to have all those stills.
And if needed you can always batch all stills through Photoshop to process them as you like.
There are probably lots of programs that can make a movie from a JPG/PNG sequence, i use QT Pro for that.

Is this just a bug that will be fixed in the next release? I’m having the exact same problem.

Moved to “Technical Support”

64bit Blender can use more than 4GB of RAM. If you have 8GB+ in your system, this ability can be quite handy when doing things like smoke and fluid sims, or renders with a lot of polys.

And there is no 64bit QuickTime. Period. If you’re on OS X, there is a replacement for it (which is a bit half-baked as of 10.6, things will be a lot better in 10.7 judging from the betas). OS X apps can also use a helper process to get ahold of some QuickTime features. Neither of these are great solutions right now, and they don’t work on Windows anyway. And probably never will, Apple has little inspiration to care about it on Windows. The old creaky QuickTime powers iTunes well enough. Beefing up the new one is for Final Cut, Logic, and the like, which are intended to sell high-powered Macs to run them on.

Plus, as has been noted, rendering to an image sequence is a better idea anyway.

When I said I had the exact same problem I was slightly misleading, I’m not running the 64 bit version. I’m not actually rendering anything 3D either, I’m just using the Sequence Editor as an alternative to Adobe Premiere (the old version I had doesn’t accept the h.264 quicktime video that my Canon records) so there would be no point in rendering to an image sequence. The only reason I was rendering to Quicktime was that I was trying to output to the same format that I was inputing, I guess using the AVI h.264 format will do the job just as well.

a win32 build with quicktime-support is available here: