Why can't I see the mist pass effect in my scene?

I’m following this tutorial:

Managed do it al pretty well, up until the end when he adds a mist pass.

Can’t get that mist he has over his mountains to appear in over mine:

Pretty sure I’ve got my nodes set up the same, and I’ve tried it at a bunch of different scales.

Here’s the project if that helps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H_WAaa06KrmS9zV_HGxhu_lREkrsCkmS/view?usp=share_link

Change your Mist Pass distance values to match your scene:

1 Like

Thanks. I figured that’s what it was, but I’ve tried them at so many different values and can’t see the mist at any of them. I’ve set the range to 5-25 like you have it there, but it’s still not showing.

Your mist pass shows up for me, with these settings:

I’d suggest clicking the Backdrop button in your Compositor, and adding a Viewer node, it lets you quickly preview things like this

1 Like

I’ve got the backdrop button clicked, is looking at it through the render viewport not enough to see how the rendered version will look for compositing then?

I just mean if you want to see the mist pass specifically, you need to plug it into the Viewer node. I don’t believe the mist pass will show up in the render viewport, unless A. you’ve got real-time compositing turned on and B. the mist pass has been added to the real-time compositor

1 Like

Right, that’s good to know. Thanks as always.

1 Like

probably you already know but you have to render the image again to get the mistpass. Plus, you can preview it, there are separate passes options you can choose. This mistpass has a separate config option in the world properties tab.

1 Like

Yes thanks. The. problem was I was assuming the mist pass would be visible in the render viewport. The original range settings were actually pretty close.