Why can't I zoom in?

Hi,

I’m still fairly new to Blender and I have an issue with the middle mouse scroll-wheel zooming in and out. I’m working on a pretty complex tutorial and when I began I was able to use the middle scroll wheel to zoom right in and out of my model. Now it seems that it will not scroll right in and I can’t get close at all before the zoom seems to slow down to a stop. It only happens in perspective view.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why this is happening and how I can resolve it?

Many thanks.

SJ.

In File->User Preferences, Interface tab, make sure that Auto Depth is on. Zoom To Mouse Position is also a good option to have on.

Also, if your model very large, way bigger than the grid, zoom goes a little wonky.

You can also try selecting the mesh and hitting numpad-"." to reset the view onto that object.

3 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for both of your responses.

SkpFX… I tried settingAuto Depth to ‘On’ in the user preferences but it didn’t seem to have any effect. I already had it set to zoom to mouse position.

IkariShinji… Hitting the “.” helps to some extent but I must be doing something else wrong as my zooming seems to have a mind of it’s own.

I’m really struggling with this as it seems to change what it does and does not do randomly and I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. I’m trying to follow tutorials in which the tutor zooms right in to selected vertices but when I try it sometimes works, it sometimes won’t zoom in (the numpad “.” key helps with this as you suggested) but then I get another issue which is that as I zoom closer to my selected vertices they begin to vanish from view as though I’m moving right past them. This happens while I’m still not as close to them as the tutor in the tutorial is to the ones he has selected. I just can’t seem to get close enough to work as accurately as the guy running the tutorial.

1 Like

Bring up the properties panel with N on the 3d workspace. Scroll down and expand the view settings. Changing the clip settings for start and end may help. Setting them too high or low can cause issues. These are different than the clip settings for the camera btw.

1 Like

Also, numpad-5 will put the viewport into ortho mode. Zoom will behave predictably, and there is no depth clipping.

Hi,

Many thanks for all your help. The ortho tip helps a lot and pauljs75 that start and end tip has made the world of difference.

Many thanks again for everyone’s help.

SJ.

1 Like

file user prefences does not exist. This response is completely wrong.

It’s a 3 year old thread.

1 Like

Same exact issue here, Feb 2021. For some reason the mousewheel does not zoom in and instead of rotating around the object, its almost like the view itself rotates around itself, like a free standing camera. The above did not resolve my issue. My workaround is to just start a complete new file again – it seems that whatever is wrong just resets. At this point, I only know that it seems to happen when I’m doing a 3D animation, using keyframes

2 Likes

Does the lock to the zoom happen using one between Blender GIS or Blender OSM addon?
Asking because it does it all the time for me (in Blender 2.79 tho) and I couldn’t find any solution to now (camera and view limits properly set, pressing “,” numpad zooms but doesn’t reset it, etcetera).
Should it happen in the same contest, I may try asking the Blender GIS/Blender OSM developers if they can look into it.

I have this happening on occasion. It represents itself as though there is a ‘natural’ barrier of the camera pedestal being in the way. When I can’t zoom any closer I rotate the view in order to move in closer. I have to zoom out, first, in order to find where the blocking began. Then the view will rotate after zooming out.
I can’t speak to the circumstances of when this happens as it has been on large and small scenes. I’ll pay attention to it. I want to say I’ve seen this in Blender forever so its not new or a bug, as such. Just annoying when it kicks in.
When this happens, iirc, the period on the numpad won’t even bring it into view. That, I think is a bug.
Robert

A solution to this problem. Ctrl+Middle Mouse drag. This allows zooming without the limits. Up and Down drag. I looked in the manual but the commons ctrl+mouse & alt+mouse & shift+mouse controls where not documented. At least I was unable to find it. These are really good for stylus.

love u man, thank you very much

I have the exact same problem but i dont know how to create a new file withour losing my progress

I just zoom in as close as possible and then zoom out far af then zoom in again but this time I zoom right into the object, go inside it and then escape out. It works for me lol

I use “fly” navigation often to avoid the zoom and pan frustrations. i.e. View->Navigation->Walk or SHIFT-backtick (called accent grave in the docs) You can then use WASD (and Q,E) as for first person games.

Also, if you press the tilde key (~) while you have an object selected and choose view selected then it will zoom up to the selected object.

Is there a way to set clip setting for ALL windows, rather than just the current one?

Thanks.

actually didn’t work for me :frowning: