Why DivX all of a sudden?

Ok maybe it’s not sudden, but I see many people are now using the DivX codec for their vids. Are there advantages to the DivX player? Do tell!

more likelly the codec has more advantages…it compresses the video with a minumum loss of quality…much better then mpeg…size is reduced allot too

it also compresses quickly.

once you use it not much else will do.

its not suitable for realtime capture tho.[/u]

Also I find divx has alot of problems with simply scrolling ahead or backwards in a movie.

Anyone know wether this is due to the codec? or crappy implementation in programs?

FAST, SMALL commpression, made a raw avi from 150mb to get this

650kb that’s why i use it so it can fit on my 20meg tripod space!!!

yes, rewind or forward in divx is not that smooth but compression is really amazing. Compression is about 4 to 1 meaning 20Mb became 5Mb. I’ve tried comparing both and its still very close to the original.

for commercial use of the codec, the one off license is about 1K for 1 for 1 user.

the problem with using DivX is that I think most common people don’t
know a heck what DivX is and don’t even care, and don’t even have the
Codec installed on theirs computers, they just want to be able to play
and look at it (the movie), but most people do have QuickTime
installed and using a Codec for that platform would be even more to consider

maybe DivX has better compression than say for example,
Sorensen 3, but it can be shown for a wider audiance, and also,
MPEG is one of the most widest videoformat I can imagine,
because most players can play them with built in Codec for each
system…maybe less quality and such…

but…why do the bigger companys in movie industry,
use the QuickTime format when showing it on the web or
on a Multimedia CD ?? just because it can be shown for a wider
audiance, much better…and 2nd, it is more widespread tool/player

And to Kib I would also say that I feels also that is much harder
to play back and forth as you stated…

yours…

quicktime is bad for us poor linux users- and for anyone not on windows or mac.
I suspect the reason quicktime is used for those purposes is:
quicktime is actually really cool
apple has an agreement with mpaa (just a guess)

This is not true. Divx is standard for pirate movies, and there are alot of them. There are more people playing pirated movies than there are people playing short videos in quicktime on the internet.

hah quicktime is bad for anyone period!

yup, it’s mac made :stuck_out_tongue: !

Besides that it don’t compress files enough and ya gotta pay 30 stinkin’ bucks for it.

divx sucks! i hate it with passion :wink: well, ok, its not that extreme…but i dont like it at all… it is good for compression yes, but tmpgenc can compress it into an mpg at the same size same quality, onyl even better…

when i compress a long movie with divx, u cannot skip ahead in the video or it will freeze, and in most cases, freeze your whole computer, me anyway =D…mpg, boom, wherever in the movie u want to go, just fast forward click and your there…stupid divs =(

and, another gripe =D whenever i compress with divx, even with quality at 100% and all the best settings on, its still blurs the damn thing! it tints everything ever so slightly with a browness and blurs all my text… good ole virtuadub has a shapren filter though, its divine

enuff talk! hooray for tmpgenc!

What divx version are u using? Divx has parameters for sharpness.

QuickTime!? It’s got the worst quality for a modern video codec that I’ve seen. And it’s very slow, some movies play choppy on my 1500 Mhz P4! And when getting into resolutions like 640*360 or higher, it’s just too slow, the files are too big, and the quality is too poor. You’re right: once you’ve gotten used to DivX, there’s no better solution. I can’t stand to look at MPEGs (eg: VCD) any more. I mean a 2 hour movie fits on one CD in near (by near I mean you can barely tell the difference) DVD quality. Quicktime is probably only more widespread because of Macs. Besides that, it doesn’t like come with Linux or Windows, it has to be installed anyways. So I don’t understand why it would be so hard for anyone to install DivX, if they could install Quicktime??

Another advantage is that you don’t need any proprietary, non-free, special programs that can compress Quicktime, for DivX, since any old AVI compressor will do (as DivX is compatible with the AVI codec system)

BTW: wiensta: you can encode DivX in real time, though you need a better PC. I’ve done it and seen it done many times, a good PC can encode up to 40 fps. Try to use the latest codec possible (currently 5.02), and also it helps to have a P4 or AMD Athlon XP, as the codec contains optimizations for these processors.

imgranpaboy: well, if you don’t put any keyframes in your movie than of course it freezes, it can only fastforward or rewind from a keyframe. You should have them about every 3 seconds. The less keyframes you have, the slower it will FF or RW.

Zsolt

We could raise a 100,000 and buy the source code to the codec that tivo systems use :stuck_out_tongue: !!!

Just one thing: Rad-Tools BINK. Don’t leave home without it. Or, don’t compress video with anything else. My two euros.

doesn’t bink make .exe’s?

yup, it’s mac made :stuck_out_tongue: !

Besides that it don’t compress files enough and ya gotta pay 30 stinkin’ bucks for it.[/quote]

buy a better video card!
and you dont need a 1.8 dual athlon to play quicktimemovies smooth!

and all the interface people that look at their little icons on screen…
who invented them? who was the first?, Yep APPLE!
and alot of blenderusers are on mac!

buy a better video card!
and you dont need a 1.8 dual athlon to play quicktimemovies smooth!

But still quicktime is evil because it’s a closed format. I HATE having to use the quicktime player, because frankly it sucks!

and all the interface people that look at their little icons on screen…
who invented them? who was the first?, Yep APPLE!

And who cares about this?
btw which icons are you talking about? if you’re talking about those play, forward, stop pause icons etc I really doubt apple was the first to do those.
They’ve been used on audio and video equipment alot sooner.

and alot of blenderusers are on mac!

I kind of doubt this,. since there is not stable mac release, besides from the Linux ppc versions. And the macOSX release isn’t release isn’t that old, nor that stable yet.