Why do I have to manually split normals on this model?

Hey there,

I have a model that I want to shade smooth, but the display looks terrible. As far as I can tell, what I should do is set the normals to auto-smooth and adjust the angle until only those faces below a certain threshold are smoothed.

But nothing seems to work. It still shades weird. When I look at the vertex normals I can see that they are unified and at an angle. My reference cube shades correctly with the same settings, so there is something somewhere that I have set (or not set) that is causing this to happen. But I can’t seem to figure out what it might be.

Edit: If I set the normals of the reference cube to face, then it also behaves badly and I can’t figure out how to get back to the “default” behavior.

I can manually split all the edges that I need sharp and that works.

Any thoughts?

All the help I get here is amazing and I really appreciate you all taking time to help me!

broken_normals_v001.blend (957.4 KB)

You might just shade the flat surfaces… flat like so ?? :

Because Smooth shading over a 90 degree angle always look weird…

ohh… or simply use the edeg split modifier…

1 Like

Thanks!

I found another solution. Apparently this model has a custom split normal and that is messing with the normal display.

If you remove the custom split normals it works as intended.

Ohh yes indeed… if imported from some exchange file format this sometimes is needed… but mostly not for blender :wink: