Why does hair keeps penetrating emitter mesh even though 'Deflect emitter' is on

I have a head mesh that is emitting long hair from the scalp region. When I comb it down most of the hair strands fall naturally and respect the head mesh. The issue I am having is with the hair strands that are emitting from the top most portion of the head. The area of these strands that are close to the root is penetrating the head mesh making my character head look strangely bald.

For some reason this area of the hair strands are not respected the Deflect emitter which I have set to 0.1. I have tried setting the Deflect emitter to higher values like 0.25 but still see the top most hair strands penetrating the head mesh. Setting the Deflect emitter to higher values is aesthetically unacceptable in this case since I am trying to realistically represent real hair draping over a head.

How come this is happening? And how do I fix it?

I am using Blender 2.64.2 on Ubuntu 12.04

One solution to this issue is to manually arrange each hair in this area. Delete all the hairs on the top, and then add a few hairs one at a time and use point select mode to lay them out along the scalp. Then add more hairs using the interpolate checkbox and they should automatically conform to the shape of the ones you have used as guides.

I’ve just started a thread about whether it is better to use mesh hair in this situation, as I’m having similar problems with particle hair for this kind of model.

Yes I think individually adding hairs is a good work around but I was hoping for an actual solution with in the hair emitter itself. Honestly I can’t believe this is even an issue. I mean if you want to do a head model with straight long hair I guess it’s not possible with out a work around. I will wait to see if any other people have some ideas but I am interested in your other thread. Also can you point me to some examples of mesh hair that look decent? Thanks Chrisitina

This is Steven Stahlberg’s work.
http://www.androidblues.com/gallery/

Just try to adjust [stiffness] option. It helps roots of hair keep shape. About 0.05 - 0.1

Ok I figured it out after experimenting with the particle parameters. What I did was increase the Segments parameter, located in the top most panel section right under Seed, from 5 to 30. This created more points along each hair strand. It is the points that respect the Deflect Emitter setting. One issue though is that if I tried adding new strands when in Particle edit mode in the 3d view they would be added with only 5 segments and not respect the 30 segment setting. This could be a bug, not sure.

In particle mode the W key allows you to Rekey up to 20 points. Or if you check Interpolate (just under the brushes in the Tool panel) you can specify there up to 20 keys.