Why does my model look ugly?

It looks ugly, but why? What do I do to make it look cleaner?

“Ugly” is both vague and subject to personal perception :wink: I personally think your forehead is too short, your scalp too flat, and your upper arms too thin, and someone else might look at this and say something entirely different. Are you asking about the mesh topology? The face? The pose? The lighting?

If you mean the slightly rough appearance of the mesh, that’s probably topology. Try retopo in some way- Tesselator is a good, cheap, option.

Because it lacks any solid basis in form/proportion/anatomy. What can you do to make it cleaner? Study and apply through 100s of hours of practice these 3 principle foundations of creating a realistic human model.
There is no magic fix we can give you. You have to put in the work yourself if you want to progress. Simple as that.

7 Likes

Use reference images…

2 Likes

@Babajan and @musashidan and @joseph

The feedback is very good. And your right, I should have used references of some kind. I thought I could make the model using only a anatomy model, but that is one reason I failed. I tried to make a model with less defination of muscle and smaller stature. My reference is big.

I also have taken look at it, the proportions are wrong. Both in the body and head. After my break this weekend I am going to try and get some reference images some how.

1 Like

I don’t mean to be dismissive, but reference images are easy to come by using a Google image search and/or most stock art sites. You have a lot of options available to you. And don’t take the “arteest’s” advice of putting 100s of hours of practice into this too seriously - 100s of hours of practice never hurts but you’ve done something decent already and you’ll find that you can produce wonderful things even if you’re not an anatomy master. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, the books here are very nice:

I’m advising that progressing in 3D artwork in general takes 100s of hours of practice. Too many people around here patting eachother on the back. Taking honest critique is part and parcel of improvement. Pretending that someone is doing fantastically is ultimately hurting their progress.

6 Likes

@Musashidan I thought you presented your advice in a very mature, non-insulting, helpful manner. It’s true, the model shown lacks form/proportion/anatomy, and the only way to fix that is with time. As far as balancing the desire to be “nice” and reality, I feel like Americans especially love being “nice” and “non-judgemental”. Usually just means passive aggressive :roll_eyes:

Anyway, @humanartist, I would recommend using as many different reference images from as many different angles as you can. No 2D image shows true reality, it only shows one perspective. In order to get a solid 3D sculpt with good form, you need as many perspectives as you can get your hands on. Different poses as well- getting some pictures of sitting, standing, crouching, slouching, etc, will help show the proportions of muscle and bone and how they interact.

2 Likes

Like @Musashidan said, getting good at sculpting a believable human model takes lots and lots of practice.

The reason your model looks ugly is because you wanted to portray a human being and your sculpt is nowhere near like an actual human being.

My first sculpts were frickin ugly too. Keep at it, make sure for every new sculpt you advance your knowledge of structure, form and anatomy. Good luck!

Edit: I suggest you find a good, generic, smoothed out basemesh from the internet. Google around. Apply your anatomy knowledge onto the basemesh. Make that generic model look as human as possible. That’s one of the methods I used to practice anatomy.

3 Likes

One of my early studies, using MBLab human model as base as I tried to apply my anatomy:

1 Like

Dont let this bring you down, you have to start somewhere, and i think you’re on the right track.

Here is my road, took me some time to get somewhere, all though i still have a long way to go.

I advice you to split the load up, dont do all at once. Focus on for instance, only the head. Next session, hands, then body, then feet, then back to head again.

3 Likes