Why does the live viewport look better than the Viewport Render Image?

Here’s an example of what I see in the viewport (with Flat Viewport Shading, and Cavity and Outlines turned ON). The snapshot was taken with external software.

And here’s the result when I use the Viewport Render Image. Much less detailed and clear.

Are there any settings than I need to play around with?

The reason I’m asking, is that I’d like to use the Viewport Render Image in Photoshop when post processing.

Thanks in advance!

More than likely down to your image world settings in the viewport. In rendered view, if your world settings is a basic grey colour, then you don’t get the detail the viewport does, which uses a HDRI.
If you go into viewport shading and activate scene world, I wouldn’t mind betting you get a result similar to your render.

1 Like

Hey, colkai! Thank you for the suggestion. In rendered view, the world is already set to an hdri (and it is also set to the Eevee renderer). I tried switching to Workbench and choosing the same “world,” but the effect remains the same.

Render view, hélas , doesn’t mean that it will be used as this when you press render. It could be cool.but that’s only possible if you render via view menu render viewport image.
As said before, you have to set up your world shader to get a decent result.

1 Like

Viewport Render Image is bugged in 2.83+, you’ll have to use 2.82a to get a matching result.

https://developer.blender.org/T77909

1 Like

Edit:
I had first misunderstood your question.
Apparently there is something wrong when Viewport Render image, Cavity is not that strong compared to what it looks like in viewport. Even switching to the Workbench engine and setting Cavity there on the Render tab, when Render Image the cavity effect is not good either.

1 Like

Thank you all very much for the info! So, apparently, what I’m trying to do is not possible because of a bug, and not because of something I’m doing wrong. Good to know.

There is a solution, you read here the end of the report I just made:
https://developer.blender.org/T80601

Select Render Engine = Workbench
Configure Cavity in Render Tab, matching it with cavity configuration in viewport if you want (be careful here because values under Screen Space ridge/valley values are set to 0 by default). In Color Management you select Standard instead of Filmic. Then Render Menu, Render Image.

Edit:
Ehh, selecting Standard also seems to fix Viewport Render image

2 Likes

Thank you very much, YAFU! This works pretty much perfectly!