Why does UPBGE's viewport flicker?

I’ve found that when I start the internal/external player (doesn’t matter which one), there is a chance for the view to have a black flickering effect. Why does it do that?

Nothing’s wrong, it just has this black flicker, like a camera taking pictures. I’m just curious, because is there a setting I can toggle or something that is causing this effect? Vsync maybe?

Most likely your graphicscard driver that causes it, or you have object around the camera z fighting eachother.

which version of UPBGE are you using? if this is 3.6-4.0 eevee, then flickering occurs if you have the noise reduction option disabled and the shadow appearance setting is set to high values, in older versions of UPBGE this happens if you use some type of shading that is not supported by your video card or heavy materials that overload the render, instead of guessing that it might be better, send your settings lamps and stage lighting settings and exactly which materials and objects cause artifacts

0.3.6 (macOS on Apple Silicon). Apple Silicon uses Metal, not GLSL. But flickering should not occur, even on Apple Silicon as their GPU system on chips are really, really good. The Rasterizer is not overloaded (very low usually).

I can lower the shadow quality in the scene settings, but I don’t know if this is the same as the “shadow appearance settings” that you speak of.

As for “noise reduction”, I don’t know what that is in EEVEE or where it’s located…

I do not know why you are having these problems - here is my noise reduction setting and setting shadows for the sun in UPBGE 4.0, I made the sun follow the active camera at a distance - since at a great distance from the light source, a flicker similar to the noise texture begins anyway, even if I move too far from the center. at that time, but then I will still get noise on objects, this is due to a loss of calculation accuracy since the distance values will not be enough for floating numbers - there are several ways out of this situation - move objects and keep the active camera in the center of the scene without moving - this system will seem difficult to a beginner, the second option is almost like the first if the player has gone far from the center to shift objects back to the center relative to the player, or use nodes to simulate shadows - and turn off shadows for all lamps and leave only lighting

That planet looks rather like Mercury! Is that done using geonodes? It looks really good!

Regarding macOS, UPBGE 0.4 alpha should hopefully release in June maybe. I cannot truly say it will, but I can only speculate.

Regarding planets, you can also do a Sun using geonodes, which would be far easier than doing complex intricate objects like trees for instance. Just take any object, use geonodes to create a sphere, then use a procedural voroinoi texture to make a sun. Then, colourise it’s elevations and then add some spheres through the geonode to create a “coronasphere”. Then, use Set Material for coronasphere and the “surface” to really create your Sun. Try making a black sun for example, a hypothetical cold sun, or a blue giant sun! The possibilities are endless.

You will need to use reinstancePhysicsMesh() to update the mesh bounds, otherwise your collision bounds will be incorrect.

buddy, I just showed my sun lamp settings, and where the noise reduction setting is, thanks for the recommendations, I’ll think about it - the planet was made through elevation maps and an offset modifier, I didn’t use geonodes - and yes, I know how to update the grid physics and how to do what the offset modifier does through a script - moving vertices iteratively and recalculating the grid normals and then physics - but this is beyond the scope of your question about the flickering of objects :smile: :wink: