Why doesn't "Convert Triangle to Quads" work?

I have the vertices selected as shown. I select “Mesh->Faces->Convert Triangles to Quads” but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I am using ver 2.42a.

Attachments

Just select the two triangles and press F or Alt + J.

I think you did it wrong.

What you need to do is press space bar > Edit > Faces > Convert to Quads.

You DON’T go Mesh->Faces->Convert Triangles to Quads because you might think it says Convert Triangles to Quads but infact, it only says Convert to Triangles not Convert Triangles to Quads.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4979/tri2quadjv9.th.png

This happens all the time to me, I don’t think your doing anything wrong.

Edit: To reproduce this (bug?), make a cube extrude a face and scale it down (quite small or you’ll end up with quads), now AKEY, CTRL+T, ALT+J & you’ll end you with this…
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5276/quadsntrisgs7.png

Thanks Wolf. I did try your suggestion without any luck. I’m also attaching a screen shot to show you that it does indeed say “Convert Triangles to Quads.”

I’m going to start over. The only thing I can think of is that I messed up the mesh so bad that for some reason it’s just not working.

Attachments

haha to slow :wink:

Hey, there’s no need for that. just select and delete the middle edge, select the four verts & hit the FKEY.

Sorry N30N, I didn’t see your previous post.

Rant: I don’t know about anyone else but I think this new Forum Theme stinks!!! (IMHO)

N E Way… you seem to be correct as it does appear to be a “bug” in 2.42. I downloaded the November CVS build and it works just fine now.

Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated!

I think that if the two triangles are not “flat” with respect to each other, Blender cannot convert the two triangles into a quad.

Imagine two paper triangles lying on a table edge to edge. Blender could convert those two triangles into a quad. Now, imagine that the edge where they are connected is a hinge. If the hinge is bent, the two triangles are not “flat” with respect to each other, and Blender can not convert those into a quad.

A general note on tri2quad convertion … i think it’s safe to say that using the script under Mesh -> Scripts -> Triangles to Quads produces results that are a lot better than the “Convert to Quads” function and the meshes are very clean after using it (inclduing edge-loops).

The “Convert to Quads” function even merged two triangles that where seperated by an edge of the object (i.e angle > 45°) some times :frowning:

Werner

The convert to quads funcion (alt+J) has been rewritten in current CVS version to match the triangles to quads script functionality but faster. Current alt+J in 2.42a uses the old method, which is crappy for several quads, but should work for 1 quad. Maybe you need to put the central vertex further so it has the shape of a quad; then, after alt+J, put it where it was before. Using snap from/to cursor function can help (shift S).

When I do organic modelling (which doesn’t seem to be your case) and I can’t convert to quad 2 triangles, I smooth it several times (W smooth) until it looks like a quad.