Why is the Blender logo orange?

Why orange specifically? Orange is also common in the UI, for example the orange outline when you select an object, or the orange origin point. In the outliner, many objects have orange icons also. Orange is everywhere, even this website has orange all over it. I don’t have an issue with orange but why orange specifically? There must be a reason for orange.

2 Likes

The original logo was green, then they rebranded and picked orange. Same reason Adobe is red or Microsoft is blue, someone felt like it and it stuck

2 Likes

Could it be oranges often being used in blenders?

2 Likes

Me:
First time using blender: Why the logo is orange? Looks not very appealling to me(I personally prefer blue color)
Two years using blender: why it shouldn’t? (Though i change the blender theme to my liking :D)
Just a matter of choice and habit i guess.

2 Likes

I thought it had to do with William of Orange since Ton Roosendaal is Dutch.

:person_shrugging:

5 Likes

Because NaN and Ton’s web site used some of this color…

And it’s

Tangerine:

Hex color: #fb8300
RGB: 251 131 0
CMYK: 0 48 100 2
Pantone: PMS 151 C

and

Lapis Lazuli:

Hex color: #015a91
RGB: 1 90 145
CMYK: 99 38 0 43
Pantone: PMS 7691 C

:wink:

8 Likes

I really like blenders colors, I have never thought of the origin of the colors.

It’s not how the software looks on the outside that’s important, what really matters is inside the viewport.

2 Likes

“Tangerine”

oh, i was almost right

2 Likes

The real question is why isn’t the logo flipped so it looks like a rotating letter ‘b’

2 Likes

This seems like a safe bet, absent any verifiable information, the Dutch love making things orange

2 Likes

I almost forgot about that logo, now that I think of it, that NaN logo was perfect for representing Blender as it was every bit as confusing and hard to sort out as Blender was pre 2.24 (how many companies do you know of that attempted to sell a complex creative application with no undo button)?

It is a minor miracle that the Blender community at the time had enough faith in the application’s future to collectively purchase the source (because professionals back then would not be caught dead having it on their machine).

1 Like

Why are hindus wearing orange?
Orange color has through history been considered to represent boldness, courage, youth and much more.

For the comparison, red…often a warning, yellow to highlight, blue, coolness and stability.

In UI elements, there is often the defaults of using blue as something that is selected or orange, something that is ok as active or selected.
Those colors in contrast to black or grey, is pretty much optimal.

Be happy blender is One single software, and not two split apps…then you would need two colors :slight_smile:

lw icons

The color contrast between white, black, grey and so on in reference to orange, is most distinct with the orange color, meaning it is best visible as orange mostly.

Though I may think I prefer blue anyway.
But…Orange Is the Old Orange.

1 Like

Spot the Dutch fans. :wink:

6 Likes

Blender is made in the Netherlands, and the official color representing the country is orange.

1 Like

Another curious thing; the Blender Foundation doesn’t own the brand
Blender and its logo… that’s still part of the NaN Holding. The foundation only
has the right to use it. Since NaN Holding is in deep sleep, there is no need to expect any troubles. But that leaves it as a real commercial & valuable trademark that needs to be handled carefully.

Wait, is still the case?

In 2006 Blender Intitute was crated that took some legal means, and that site is from 2006.

2 Likes

This was stated in the web archive i posted ( and also inluded in the following link… which i didn’t know but found it somewhere else… :wink: )… but meanwhile (…? and also inluded in the following link )

Logo

The Blender logo is a registered property of Blender Foundation.

1 Like

Oh, i forgot to include link that also threw me off cuz its still there:

https://docs.blender.org/api/intranet/

1 Like

Hmm… but for this it isn’t very clear for what exactly it applies… especially:

Copyright (c) 2002 NaN Holding, Amsterdam the Netherlands

and then…

Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

and also…

End Of Blender Foundation Content License

In contrast to the linked documents:

• Conventions (v 1.13 2001/08/24)
    – and further: Coding Copyright Conventions (v 1.3 2001/05/14 )
  • Development Documentation Index (v 1.47 2002/02/06)

But then already with GNU General Public License (Version ?) in:
Blender Documentation Volume II - Reference Guide (Last modified July 08 2004)

But all that is the staff of life for… lawyers …:person_shrugging:

Or… ( back to the topic):

…it’s “Orange” because if some dutch people had to choose one from 16,777,216 possible colors… the properly choose: “Oranje”

and ( towards offtopic ) in fact the first color of the oldest tricolour flag of the world was for the Netherlands (or predecessor of the flag for NL, Prinsenvlag ) was orange (and then white and blue)… ( more offtopic: …and sadly like other things in this world this is used for some controversial reasons…)

But anyway:
… this is all going by far too much offtopic because this is somekind of futile question… :grin:

1 Like

Blender logo and brand has nothing to do with GNU or license of Blender software itself

I was just refereing to your:

not the logo… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: