Why isn't my tree appearing in my final render?

I’ve tried it with backface culling both on and off, and in both Eevee and cycles, but to no avail. Any ideas?

File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1py2Kp0YWXaYh-EDX5QAwhGPkgOON9idN/view?usp=sharing

Also this is the original Sketchfab asset and how it’s supposed to look: Beautiful Autumn - Download Free 3D model by Epic_Tree_Store (@johngreenstone) [155e77d] - Sketchfab

The tree is just made out of single non connected verts it will not render. If you read the comments in Sketchfab you will see that others have the same problem.

I have no idea how that is supposed to render.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah I did see one other comminter was unable to make it work, but so many of them were positive that I figured at least someone most have figured out how.

Yea it is a weird file, if you covert it to point cloud you get a black tree, not sure how to get the colours.

3 Likes

You can make it render by using this geometry nodes setup on it.

However, I am not sure what you are trying to do with your material, you have a material that doesn’t work, as you are trying to use a color attribute that is empty.

2 Likes

Yes I was wondering that, the attribute node gives errors sometimes and seems to lack any colour. There must be some trick to this, the sketchfab model looks like a point cloud.

GuyTDrakerGuy this video seems related, I am not sure what format the Sketchfab model is (I do not have an acount)

1 Like

Thank you. Sorry how do I actually find that geometry node tree? I’ve tried going to geometry nodes but it’s empty. I’m super new to geometry node.

Also there is a colour that can go into that colour attribute.

You start by going to the modifier tab. Then, with the model selected, you add a geometry nodes modifier. Then, go to the geometry nodes editor and add the nodes I showed you.

The attribute is there, but it seems to be blank.

1 Like

Oh I just set it up myself, cool. Thanks.

Right, the one called Col", that’s empty? So even with your node tree set up your still not getting any colour?

1 Like

I tried setting the col attribute in the material, it does nothing. I tried extruding the vertices into faces to see if there are vertex colors and the result was completely blank. If I combine the different parts of the tree, the col attribute disappears, probably because it’s empty.

1 Like

Yep, I’ve got the geometry node tree set up now and able to render it without the colour, but having the same problem with the col attribute.

1 Like

I suppose the problem must be with the source of the model or the way in which you imported it in Blender. I assume you got this point cloud from somewhere? Did that source include the color data? How did you import it in Blender, did you import it with a file format and settings that conserve the color?

1 Like

So it’s a Sketchfab model I got from here: Beautiful Autumn - Download Free 3D model by Epic_Tree_Store (@johngreenstone) [155e77d] - Sketchfab

I’ve tried redownloading it and reimporting it a few times, both as a .gITF and a .ply

Actually I haven’t tried it with the .ply since using your geometry node tree, so I’ll give that a go

edit: Struggling to get the node tree to work or even see the material at all with the .ply file. I’ve never used the .ply format before though. That is the original format though, so I could be ht issue.

Ok I downloaded the ply from sketch fab imported to Blender and did this with Geometry nodes and the material.

It works :smiley:

3 Likes

That does look pretty cool though.

1 Like

Well, from a distance, its just a load of emissive points!

2 Likes

Hell, that’s even cooler. You could do all kinds of neat stuff with that, provided you could replace the discs with any other kind of texture.

Well you can with GN you can change the point cloud to be a cloud of cubes etc with instance on points. But there are 1,580,297 points so it would be a heavy file. (and still just a load of cubes instead of round points!)

2 Likes

Oh wow, thank you so much!

Sorry I’m still having a little trouble recreating that though.

How did you get the Col in the Attribute node?

You have to type the attributes name in the attribute node ( Col )

1 Like