Why my glass bulging?

Really curious about what’s going on with my glass, and what happens to it when applying the glass material in the node setup. This happens to my glass all the time, where instead of being chill it’s just making the image weird. Thought maybe it was thickness, but adding a solidify modifier makes no difference. I understand that glass refracts and is a giant lens, but I’m really wanting to know how to make it physically accurate, as you can imagine.

Here’s the .blend file for the fun of it, and in the screenshot below, the closest window pane is removed to show the huge difference in the way it displays.

Turn the IOR value on your glass shader down to a very low number.
Here’s the result after turning it down to 1.01

Well that’s interesting! Thanks for sharing. I’m kinda confused now because all the tutorials I see are specific about using the “correct” IOR of glass. Should I in fact be not doing this, and always having it super close to 1?

Depends on the scaled thickness of the object with the glass material.

Interesting:

glass

2 Likes

By using the mix node to send glossy rays to the transparent shader, the rays act like they never leave the glass.

Cut the link to the ‘glossy’ rays and you should have proper glass again.

2 Likes

When I cut out the glossy rays, it goes blurry and crazy?

cut the diffuse too

also, do the windows need to be quadruple paned?

I would replace all windows with a simple plane (no thickness), and use the following material:

Thanks for this! When I’ve looked up glass materials, I’ve never seen this node setup. Is this one, in general, better than the one I’ve been using?

I wouldn’t say it’s better…

But when you have glass objects that are planes, and their thickness is small in relation to the camera (as normally are in architectural renderings), the refraction is negligible and can be replaced with a simple transparent closure.

If you want the refraction, then you need to model the windows as thin boxes, with both a front and backface, so that the refracted ray can be ‘corrected’ after hitting the rear surface of the object. Otherwise, the renderer will ‘think’ the ray had entered into a glass but never got out, giving that ‘aquarium’ look.